Moustached Grass-warbler (Melocichla mentalis) - HBW 11, p. 611
French: Mélocichle à moustaches
Spanish: Yerbera Bigotuda
Other common names: African Moustached Warbler, Moustached Scrub-warbler
Taxonomy: Drymoica mentalis Fraser, 1843, Accra, Ghana.
Genus has sometimes been merged with Sphenoeacus, and present species then placed in a superspecies with S. afer and Rockrunner (Chaetops pycnopygius); latter, however, now classed as a babbler (Timaliidae), and the three species are now thought not to be closely related. Race amauroura intergrades with nominate in Uele region of E DRCongo. Proposed race incana known only from type locality of Momella, on Mt Meru (NE Tanzania); more information required in order to confirm validity. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- mentalis (Fraser, 1843) - S Senegal S to N Liberia, and E to Central African Republic and N DRCongo; S Gabon E to S DRCongo (E to Kasai and Maniema); N & WC Angola and NW Zambia.
- amauroura (Pelzeln, 1883) - S Sudan and SW Ethiopia S to E DRCongo, Uganda, W, C & SE Kenya, W & N Tanzania (S, in NE, to Kilimanjaro and Arusha) and N & C Zambia.
- orientalis (Sharpe, 1883) - E & S Tanzania, Malawi and adjacent E Zambia, E Zimbabwe highlands, and N & C Mozambique.
- luangwae Benson, 1958 - E Zambia (plateau of Eastern Province).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Perched on a bush, riparian area.
Locality Gibe Gorge, SNNPR Region, Ethiopia (ssp amauroura)
Fran Trabalon 27 November 2012 1 week ago ADDED LAST MONTH 4
Locality Gahini, East Province, Rwanda
Jason Anderson 7 February 2010 2 years ago 3.5
Single bird on a branch in bush near the Mara river
Locality Maasai Mara National Reserve, Kenya
Nigel Forrow 17 August 2010 2 years ago 3.1