Mountain Boubou (Laniarius poensis) - HBW 14, p. 100
French: Gonolek de montagne
Spanish: Bubú Montano
Other common names: Mountain Sooty Boubou
Taxonomy: Dryoscopus poensis Alexander, 1903, Mount St Ysabel, Bioko.
Has often been treated as conspecific with L. fuelleborni, but the two differ in plumage (particularly of juvenile), in bill size and vocally. Recent genetic studies strongly suggest that the two, although more closely allied to each other than to the other black boubous (L. leucorhynchus and L. funebris), are not conspecific and do not form a superspecies. Considerable vocal differences between E race holomelas and W races (nominate and camerunensis) suggest that former may be better treated as a separate species. Three subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- camerunensis Eisentraut, 1968 - extreme SE Nigeria and W Cameroon.
- poensis ( Alexander, 1903) - Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- holomelas ( F. J. Jackson, 1906) - NE & E DRCongo, W Uganda, W Rwanda abd NW Burundi.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet