Moluccan Starling (Aplonis mysolensis) - HBW 14, p. 720
French: Stourne des Moluques
Spanish: Estornino Moluqueño
Other common names: Island Starling
Taxonomy: Calornis mysolensis G. R. Gray, 1862, Misool, West Papuan Islands.
Genus name sometimes given as Aplornis (see page 659). Geographical variation trivial; birds from from Banggai Is described as race persimilis, those from Sula Is as sulaensis, and those from Halmahera as forsteni, but all considered inseparable from birds of this species elsewhere in range. Treated as monotypic.
Distribution: Banggai Is and Sula Is, off E Sulawesi; Morotai, Halmahera, Ternate, Bacan, Obi, Buru, Seram, Ambon, Haruku and Saparua, in Moluccas; and West Papuan Is (Gebe, Ajoe, Waigeo, Batanta, Salawati, Misool, and some smaller islets).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 3.5 Birds and nests Maluku Isl..., Sep 2014 Dolors Buxó
- 3.4 A bird perched... Maluku Isl..., Sep 2014 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.3 Three birds on... Maluku Isl..., Sep 2014 Phillip Edwards
- 3.3 Adult upside d... Maluku Isl..., Sep 2014 Phillip Edwards
- 3 Adult and imma... Maluku Isl..., Sep 2014 Phillip Edwards
- 2.2 A partly hidde... Maluku Isl..., Oct 2011 David Beadle