McCown's Longspur (Rhynchophanes mccownii) - HBW 16, p. 504
French: Plectrophane de McCown
Spanish: Escribano de McCown
Taxonomy: Plectrophanes mccownii Lawrence, 1851, high prairies of western Texas, USA.
Sometimes placed in genus Calcarius, and has hybridized with Calcarius ornatus, but apparently is closer in affinities to Plectrophanax. Has been suggested that those two genera be placed with present genus in a separate family, Calcariidae. Monotypic.
Distribution: Breeds from S Canada (SE Alberta and SC Saskatchewan) S in USA to C Montana, extreme SE Idaho, E Wyoming, NE Colorado and NW Nebraska. Winters in SE California (rare), C & SE Arizona, C New Mexico, WC Kansas and C Oklahoma and W & SC Texas, and N Mexico (S to N Durango, occasionally Zacatecas).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.4 McCown's ... USA (Unite..., Apr 2012 Mike Ross
- 4.2 Female McCown&... USA (Unite..., May 2011 Mike Ross
- 3.8 Male McCown... USA (Unite..., Jul 2011 Mike Ross
- 3.7 Birds in fligh... USA (Unite..., Dec 2008 Erik Breden
- 3.5 Male USA (Unite..., Jun 2007 Juan Carlos Marín
- 3.4 Adult male, se... USA (Unite..., Jun 2007 Pia Öberg
- 3 Birds in fligh... USA (Unite..., Dec 2008 Erik Breden
- 3 McCown's ... USA (Unite..., Jun 2011 Mike Ross
- 2.6 Bird on the gr... USA (Unite..., Apr 2005 Miriam Bauman
- 2 A few birds in... USA (Unite..., Dec 2008 Erik Breden