Maxwell's Black Weaver (Ploceus albinucha) - HBW 15, p. 187
French: Tisserin de Maxwell
Spanish: Tejedor de Maxwell
Other common names: White-naped Black Weaver/Widow, White-eyed Weaver/Widow
Taxonomy: Sycobius albinucha Bocage, 1876, Quanza, Angola; error = West Africa.
Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- albinucha ( Bocage, 1876) - Sierra Leone, SE Guinea, Liberia, S Ivory Coast and SW Ghana.
- holomelas Sassi, 1920 - S Nigeria, W & S Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, NE & SW Gabon, NW PRCongo, SW & SE Central African Republic, NE DRCongo and W Uganda.
- maxwelli ( Alexander, 1903) - Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
overhead in tree top, searches for food, preens briefly (with White-throated Bee-eaters) Locality Krabo Forest, Western Region, Ghana (ssp albinucha)
Martin Kennewell 8 December 2010 5 years ago 27 sec 3
A perched adult
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp albinucha)
Lars Petersson 28 January 2013 2 years ago 4
Locality Bobiri Forest Reserve, Ashanti Region, Ghana
Markus Lilje 23 January 2016 9 weeks ago 3.5
A bird foraging upside down (a common posture) in a vine tangle
Locality Bobiri Forest Reserve, Ashanti Region, Ghana (ssp albinucha)
Arthur Grosset 7 June 2011 4 years ago 2.2
- No sound recordings available yet