Marsh Tchagra (Tchagra minutus) - HBW 14, p. 93
French: Tchagra des marais
Spanish: Chagra Marismeña
Other common names: Blackcap Bush-shrike, Black-capped Shrike/Bush-shrike, Blackcap(ped)/Little Blackcap Tchagra, Lesser/Little Tchagra/Shrike/Bush-shrike; Anchieta's Tchagra, Southern Blackcap (anchietae, reichenowi and remotus)
Taxonomy: Telephonus minutus Hartlaub, 1858, Ashanti, Ghana.
Somewhat aberrant species, sometimes treated in a monotypic genus Antichromus or Bocagia; differences from congeners moderately notable genetically, but morphologically and biologically no greater than differences among species within other malaconotid genera. Nominate sometimes separated from other races as a distinct species. Races anchietae, reichenowi and remotus intergrade where they meet; whether nominate and anchietae also do so is not known. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- minutus ( Hartlaub, 1858) - Sierra Leone E discontinuously to lower R Congo, N & E DRCongo (S to NW shores of L Tanganyika), S & E Sudan, Ethiopia, W Kenya and NW Tanzania.
- anchietae ( Bocage, 1869) - Angola, S & SE DRCongo, N Zambia, SW Tanzania and N & W Malawi.
- reichenowi ( Neumann, 1900) - E, C & S Tanzania (coastal lowlands S to R Rufiji, and inland in S Dodoma, Morogoro, Iringa and Songea).
- remotus Clancey, 1959 - SE Malawi, N & W Mozambique and E Zimbabwe.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.1 Side view of p... Uganda, Aug 2006 Pete Morris
- 4 Female perched Ghana, Apr 2012 Nik Borrow
- 4 male perched Uganda, Feb 2011 Krzysztof Blachowiak
- 3.6 Singing male Zaire (Dem..., Jan 2012 nvoaden
- 3.5 Female perched... Uganda, Aug 2006 Pete Morris
- 2.7 Male perched o... Rwanda, Jan 2010 Jason Anderson