Marsh Tchagra (Tchagra minutus) - HBW 14, p. 93
French: Tchagra des marais
Spanish: Chagra Marismeña
Other common names: Blackcap Bush-shrike, Black-capped Shrike/Bush-shrike, Blackcap(ped)/Little Blackcap Tchagra, Lesser/Little Tchagra/Shrike/Bush-shrike; Anchieta's Tchagra, Southern Blackcap (anchietae, reichenowi and remotus)
Taxonomy: Telephonus minutus Hartlaub, 1858, Ashanti, Ghana.
Somewhat aberrant species, sometimes treated in a monotypic genus Antichromus or Bocagia; differences from congeners moderately notable genetically, but morphologically and biologically no greater than differences among species within other malaconotid genera. Nominate sometimes separated from other races as a distinct species. Races anchietae, reichenowi and remotus intergrade where they meet; whether nominate and anchietae also do so is not known. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- minutus ( Hartlaub, 1858) - Sierra Leone E discontinuously to lower R Congo, N & E DRCongo (S to NW shores of L Tanganyika), S & E Sudan, Ethiopia, W Kenya and NW Tanzania.
- anchietae ( Bocage, 1869) - Angola, S & SE DRCongo, N Zambia, SW Tanzania and N & W Malawi.
- reichenowi ( Neumann, 1900) - E, C & S Tanzania (coastal lowlands S to R Rufiji, and inland in S Dodoma, Morogoro, Iringa and Songea).
- remotus Clancey, 1959 - SE Malawi, N & W Mozambique and E Zimbabwe.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A female moving in an overgrown field Locality Butiaba Escarpment, Uganda (ssp minuta)
Josep del Hoyo 30 August 2006 6 years ago 36 sec 3.9
A male scratching the head and calling once Locality Nyabyeya, Uganda (ssp minuta)
Josep del Hoyo 31 August 2006 6 years ago 31 sec 3.5
A male in a bush and flying away Locality Butiaba Escarpment, Uganda (ssp minuta)
Josep del Hoyo 30 August 2006 6 years ago 15 sec 3.4
rear view of male in bush Locality Kaaku Swamp, Uganda (ssp minutus)
Martin Kennewell 30 May 2004 2 years ago 51 sec 2.7
Locality Kikube, Uganda
Krzysztof Blachowiak 18 February 2011 37 weeks ago 4
Locality Brenu, Central Region, Ghana (ssp minutus)
Nik Borrow 24 April 2012 51 weeks ago 4
Locality Kakanda, Katanga Province, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) (ssp anchietae)
nvoaden 15 January 2012 51 weeks ago 3.6
Male perched on reeds, calling
Locality Rusumo, East Province, Rwanda
Jason Anderson 31 January 2010 2 years ago 2.7