Marsh Tchagra (Tchagra minutus) - HBW 14, p. 93
French: Tchagra des marais
Spanish: Chagra Marismeña
Other common names: Blackcap Bush-shrike, Black-capped Shrike/Bush-shrike, Blackcap(ped)/Little Blackcap Tchagra, Lesser/Little Tchagra/Shrike/Bush-shrike; Anchieta's Tchagra, Southern Blackcap (anchietae, reichenowi and remotus)
Taxonomy: Telephonus minutus Hartlaub, 1858, Ashanti, Ghana.
Somewhat aberrant species, sometimes treated in a monotypic genus Antichromus or Bocagia; differences from congeners moderately notable genetically, but morphologically and biologically no greater than differences among species within other malaconotid genera. Nominate sometimes separated from other races as a distinct species. Races anchietae, reichenowi and remotus intergrade where they meet; whether nominate and anchietae also do so is not known. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- minutus ( Hartlaub, 1858) - Sierra Leone E discontinuously to lower R Congo, N & E DRCongo (S to NW shores of L Tanganyika), S & E Sudan, Ethiopia, W Kenya and NW Tanzania.
- anchietae ( Bocage, 1869) - Angola, S & SE DRCongo, N Zambia, SW Tanzania and N & W Malawi.
- reichenowi ( Neumann, 1900) - E, C & S Tanzania (coastal lowlands S to R Rufiji, and inland in S Dodoma, Morogoro, Iringa and Songea).
- remotus Clancey, 1959 - SE Malawi, N & W Mozambique and E Zimbabwe.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A female moving in an overgrown field Locality Butiaba Escarpment, Uganda (ssp minuta)
Josep del Hoyo 30 August 2006 6 years ago 36 sec 3.9
A male scratching the head and calling once Locality Nyabyeya, Uganda (ssp minuta)
Josep del Hoyo 31 August 2006 6 years ago 31 sec 3.5
A male in a bush and flying away Locality Butiaba Escarpment, Uganda (ssp minuta)
Josep del Hoyo 30 August 2006 6 years ago 15 sec 3.4
rear view of male in bush Locality Kaaku Swamp, Uganda (ssp minutus)
Martin Kennewell 30 May 2004 3 years ago 51 sec 2.7
Locality Kikube, Uganda
Krzysztof Blachowiak 18 February 2011 1 year ago 4
Locality Brenu, Central Region, Ghana (ssp minutus)
Nik Borrow 24 April 2012 1 year ago 4
Locality Kakanda, Lualaba Province, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) (ssp anchietae)
nvoaden 15 January 2012 1 year ago 3.6
Male perched on reeds, calling
Locality Rusumo, East Province, Rwanda
Jason Anderson 31 January 2010 2 years ago 2.7