Mangrove Swallow (Tachycineta albilinea) - HBW 9, p. 651
French: Hirondelle des mangroves
Spanish: Golondrina de Manglar
Taxonomy: Petrochelidon albilinea Lawrence, 1863, New Granada = line of Panama Railroad, Panama.
This species (and, by extension, T. stolzmanni), along with T. bicolor, T. albiventer, T. leucorrhoa and T. meyeni, sometimes placed in separate genus Iridoprocne, but DNA studies indicate close relationship of these taxa with clade consisting of T. thalassina, T. euchrysea and T. cyaneoviridis, and support placement of all in a single genus. Forms a superspecies with T. stolzmanni and T. albiventer. Birds from NW Mexico (Sonora) sometimes separated as race rhizophorae, but variation not constant. Monotypic.
Distribution: W & E Mexico (S from C Sonora, SE San Luis Potosí and S Tamaulipas) S to Panama (E to E Colón and E Darién).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.2 A perching bir... Panama, Nov 2010 Juan Sanabria
- 4 Several birds ... Belize, Mar 2010 Alexander Grimwade
- 4 A bird preenin... Mexico (No..., Feb 2007 Eldert Groenewoud
- 3.7 An actively pr... Mexico (So..., Jul 2005 Pieter de Groot Boersma
- 3.4 Front view of ... Costa Rica, Apr 2001 Greg Baker
- 3.2 A bird on a po... Mexico (So..., Oct 2006 Josep del Hoyo
- 3 A dorsal view ... Mexico (So..., Sep 2006 Josep del Hoyo