Little Ringed Plover (Charadrius dubius) - HBW 3, p. 426
French: Pluvier petit-gravelot
Spanish: Chorlitejo Chico
Taxonomy: Charadrius dubius Scopoli, 1786, Luzon.
In past, birds of S Japan and China erroneously attributed to nominate race, and those of New Guinea region erroneously placed in jerdoni. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- curonicus Gmelin, 1789 - Eurasia, from British Is, N Africa and Canary Is to Russian Far East, Korea, E China and Japan; winters in Africa S of Sahara, Arabia, E China and Indonesia.
- jerdoni (Legge, 1880) - India and SE Asia.
- dubius Scopoli, 1786 - Philippines S to New Guinea and Bismarck Archipelago.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 78 videos
- 4 An adult on fo... Great Brit..., Jun 2005 Greg Baker
- 4 An incubating ... Spain, Jul 2012 Javier Ortas
- 4 A bird looking... Spain, May 2012 Jesús Laborda
- 4 An adult bird ... Spain, May 2012 Jesús Laborda
- 4 An adult brood... Belgium, Jun 2003 Jean Hupperetz
- 3.9 An adult bird ... Greece, May 2007 Joe Angseesing
PhotosSee all 62 photos
- 4 Standing on th... Great Brit..., May 2011 Alan Debenham
- 4 Stepping forwa... Great Brit..., May 2011 Alan Debenham
- 3.9 A bird in non-... India, Oct 2011 vasanthan.p.j
- 3.8 Little Ringed ... Turkey, Apr 2010 cetin ceki
- 3.8 looking for fo... Italy, May 2012 Cristiano Crolle
- 3.8 A nesting bird Greece, May 2003 Theo Mamais
A bird calls as it sits down on a sandy beach Locality Rethymon, Crete Region, Greece
Joe Angseesing 26 May 2007 3 years ago 3.7
An adult bird calling. Locality Prat de Cabanes-Torreblanca Natural Park, Castellón, Valencian Community, Spain
Carlos Fabregat 1 May 2010 1 year ago 3
Calling while feeding Locality Chandlai, Tonk District, Rajasthan, India
RAM GOPAL SONI 1 February 2010 3 years ago 2.5