Lesser Hoopoe-lark (Alaemon hamertoni) - HBW 9, p. 567
French: Sirli de Witherby
Spanish: Alondra de Hamerton
Other common names: Witherby’s Lark
Taxonomy: Alaemon hamertoni Witherby, 1905, Obbia, Somalia.
Affinities uncertain in absence of genetic data. May form a superspecies with A. alaudipes; differs, however, from that species in nest and display behaviour. Possible link with Certhilauda proposed by some authors. Geographical variation limited, and possibly clinal; racial identity of birds in NE corner of Somalia not known, tentatively placed with altera but further study needed. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- tertia S. R. Clarke, 1919 - inland in NW Somalia.
- altera Witherby, 1905 - N & NE Somalia.
- hamertoni Witherby, 1905 - coast of C Somalia, extending inland to Ethiopian border in N.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet