Indian Pitta (Pitta brachyura) - HBW 8, p. 157
French: Brève du Bengale
Spanish: Pita India
Other common names: Bengal/Blue-winged(!)/Green-winged Pitta
Taxonomy: [Corvus] brachyurus Linnaeus, 1766, Moluccas and Sri Lanka; error = Sri Lanka.
Forms a superspecies with P. nympha, P. moluccensis and P. megarhyncha. Formerly treated by many authors as conspecific with first of those, but differs in morphology, plumage and vocalizations. Has also been treated as conspecific with P. elegans. Monotypic.
Distribution: Breeds in NE Pakistan (Margalla Hills) and in foothills of Himalayas from W Himachal Pradesh (Dharmsala, Kangra) E to Sikkim and Bangladesh (has probably bred), and S to W & C India (S to Gujarat, extreme N Karnataka, E Maharashtra and C Bihar); migrates S to S India and Sri Lanka.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 12 videos
- 4.6 A bird resting... Sri Lanka, Feb 2006 Mike Edgecombe
- 4.6 A bird perform... Sri Lanka, Oct 2008 Eldert Groenewoud
- 4.5 A ventral view... Sri Lanka, Feb 2006 Mike Edgecombe
- 4.4 Perched bird s... India, Dec 2011 Ron Hoff
- 4 A bird perched... Sri Lanka, Oct 2008 Eldert Groenewoud
- 4 An adult on a ... India, Nov 2009 Josep del Hoyo
PhotosSee all 27 photos
- 4.7 Perched just o... Sri Lanka, Feb 2014 Henrik Bringsøe
- 4.7 On perch India, Jul 2014 drpankajmaheria
- 4.6 An Indian Pitt... India, angad achappa
- 4 Indian Pitta, ... India, Feb 2006 Mark Andrews
- 4 Perched on tre... Sri Lanka, Mar 2014 Athula Edirisinghe
- 3.9 Indian Pitta, ... India, Feb 2006 Mark Andrews
Two calls of two different birds.
Locality Thattekad Bird Sanctuary, Ernakulam District, Kerala, India
Josep del Hoyo 30 November 2009 4 years ago 4.3
alarm call Locality Arpora Forest, North Goa District, Goa, India
Paul Willoughby 8 November 2009 4 years ago 4
Calling from a tree, Sweet loud double-noted whistles with pauses of 5-10 sec Locality Jaipur District, Rajasthan, India
RAM GOPAL SONI 1 August 2005 4 years ago 3.5