House Crow (Corvus splendens) - HBW 14, p. 618
French: Corbeau familier
Spanish: Cuervo Indio
Other common names: Indian (House) Crow, Grey-necked/Colombo Crow
Taxonomy: Corvus splendens Vieillot, 1817, Bengal, India.
Possibly close to, and perhaps an early offshot of, the "C. macrorhynchos complex", as suggested by head and bill shape; overlaps with members of that group, but somewhat ecologically separated. Races zugmayeri and protegatus intergrade with nominate in India. Birds from Maldive Is described as race maldevicus, but characters suggest ancestry of mixed races, and perhaps introduced on the islands long ago; considered best treated within protegatus. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- zugmayeri Laubmann, 1913 - SE Iran and C & S Pakistan E to NW & NC India.
- splendens Vieillot, 1817 - most of peninsular India (excluding NW part and coastal Kerala) and Nepal, Bhutan and Bangladesh.
- protegatus Madarász, 1904 - SW India (S from N Kerala and W Tamil Nadu), Sri Lanka, Laccadive Is and Maldive Is.
- insolens Hume, 1874 - extreme S China (S Xizang and S Yunnan) and Myanmar (including Tenasserim).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Various calls by a individual which is perched then flying
Locality Dubai City, Dubai Emirate, United Arab Emirates
Joe Angseesing 5 April 2010 20 weeks ago 5
Several calls of a bird. Locality Ranganathittu Bird Sanctuary, Mandya District, Karnataka, India
Josep del Hoyo 11 December 2009 3 years ago 4
Several calls of a bird. Locality Kuttippuram, Malappuram District, Kerala, India
Josep del Hoyo 7 December 2009 3 years ago 4
Different calls Locality Jaipur District, Rajasthan, India
RAM GOPAL SONI 1 June 2005 3 years ago 4
Typical calls Locality Kerala, India
Stuart Fisher 5 February 2006 3 years ago 4
Calls by an individual. Locality Nawa Talao Lake, Surendranagar District, Gujarat, India
Josep del Hoyo 18 February 2011 1 year ago 3.7