Hooded Robin (Melanodryas cucullata) - HBW 12, p. 476
French: Miro à capuchon
Spanish: Petroica Encapuchada
Other common names: Hooded Robin-flycatcher, Pied/Black(!)/Black-and-white Robin
Taxonomy: Muscicapa cucullata Latham, 1801, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia.
Has often been placed in genus Petroica, but differs in plumage details (no frontal spot, no red in plumage) and body postures, and also has juvenile plumage, nest and eggs, and skull characters unlike those of that genus but similar to those of some other eopsaltriine species. Mainland races intergrade over broad areas. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- melvillensis (Zietz, 1914) - Tiwi Is (Melville I, Bathurst I), off Northern Territory, in N Australia.
- picata Gould, 1865 - N & E Australia from N Western Australia (Kimberley) and N half of Northern Territory E to C & S Queensland, S to C New South Wales.
- westralensis (Mathews, 1912) - S two-thirds of Western Australia, SW quarter of Northern Territory and W two-thirds of South Australia (including Eyre Peninsula, to head of Spencer Gulf).
- cucullata (Latham, 1801) - SE Australia from SE Queensland (along W side of Great Dividing Range) S to SE South Australia and Victoria.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 9 videos
A male perched in different branches Locality Cocoparra National Park, New South Wales, Australia (ssp cucullata)
Geoffrey Dabb 30 September 2004 7 years ago 37 sec 4.5
A male taking a caterpillar and flying away Locality Kunoth Bore, Northern Territory, Australia (ssp westralensis)
Geoffrey Dabb 31 July 2005 7 years ago 7 sec 4.4
A male on a branch Locality Brookfield Conservation Park, South Australia, Australia (ssp cucullata)
Philip Griffin 14 April 2006 7 years ago 25 sec 4.4
A male taking a cicada from the ground and flying away Locality Ormiston Gorge, Northern Territory, Australia (ssp westralensis)
Geoffrey Dabb 31 July 2005 7 years ago 2 sec 4
Front and back views of a bird on a branch. Locality Taronga Zoo, Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Josep del Hoyo 19 October 2009 3 years ago 30 sec 4
A male perched in a branch and then flying away. Locality Deniliquin, New South Wales, Australia (ssp cucullata)
Josep del Hoyo 27 October 2009 3 years ago 43 sec 4
PhotosSee all 15 photos
Adult Hooded Robin on branch
Locality Capertee Valley, New South Wales, Australia (ssp cucullata)
David Taylor 1 July 2010 4 years ago 4.4
Juvenile bird waiting for a feed from its parents.
Locality Gluepot Nature Reserve, South Australia, Australia (ssp cucullata)
David Cook Wildlife Photo... 25 October 2013 32 weeks ago 4.3
Hooded Robin on the ground feeding
Locality Capertee Valley, New South Wales, Australia
David Taylor 1 July 2010 4 years ago 4.3
perched on a fence
Locality Willie Retreat , Gibson Way, New South Wales, Australia
Arnie Hollyman 2 October 2011 2 years ago 4.1
Locality Kings Canyon, Northern Territory, Australia (ssp westralensis)
Lindsay Hansch 26 August 2011 2 years ago 4.1
Male Hooded Robin perched in a bush
Locality Kings Canyon, Northern Territory, Australia
Rhonda Hansch 26 August 2011 1 year ago 4
- No sound recordings available yet