Hairy-breasted Barbet (Tricholaema hirsuta) - HBW 7, p. 187
French: Barbican hérissé
Spanish: Barbudo Hirsuto
Other common names: Hairy-breasted Toothbill; Spot-headed Barbet (flavipunctata)
Taxonomy: Pogonias hirsutus Swainson, 1821, Ghana.
No close relatives. Exact delimitation of races difficult owing to intergradation; nominate and race flavipunctata hybridize over an extensive zone, roughly from Ghana to S Nigeria; proposed races hybrida (Niger Delta) and chapini (SE Cameroon E to C Zaire) considered indistinguishable from, respectively, nominate and ansorgii. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- hirsuta (Swainson, 1821) - Sierra Leone E to SC Nigeria (Niger Delta).
- flavipunctata J. Verreaux & E. Verreaux, 1855 - from at least SE Nigeria through Cameroon (except SE) to C Gabon.
- ansorgii Shelley, 1895 - SE Cameroon E to W Kenya, S to E Congo, C Zaire and NW Tanzania.
- angolensis Neumann, 1908 - S Gabon and S Congo S to NW Angola and S Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Front view of a bird looking from a small branch on a tree.
Locality Uganda (ssp ansorgii)
Pete Morris 23 August 2006 14 weeks ago 4
A side view of an adult
Locality Bobiri Forest Reserve, Ashanti Region, Ghana (ssp hirsuta)
Lars Petersson 29 January 2013 11 weeks ago 3.7
Locality Antwikwaa, Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp hirsuta)
Nik Borrow 1 April 2012 1 year ago 3.7
Adult in canopy
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp flavipunctata)
Photo-ay 3 January 2010 4 years ago 3
Perched in tree
Locality Kibale National Park, Uganda
Jason Anderson 7 August 2010 3 years ago 2.6