Hairy-breasted Barbet (Tricholaema hirsuta) - HBW 7, p. 187
French: Barbican hérissé
Spanish: Barbudo Hirsuto
Other common names: Hairy-breasted Toothbill; Spot-headed Barbet (flavipunctata)
Taxonomy: Pogonias hirsutus Swainson, 1821, Ghana.
No close relatives. Exact delimitation of races difficult owing to intergradation; nominate and race flavipunctata hybridize over an extensive zone, roughly from Ghana to S Nigeria; proposed races hybrida (Niger Delta) and chapini (SE Cameroon E to C Zaire) considered indistinguishable from, respectively, nominate and ansorgii. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- hirsuta (Swainson, 1821) - Sierra Leone E to SC Nigeria (Niger Delta).
- flavipunctata J. Verreaux & E. Verreaux, 1855 - from at least SE Nigeria through Cameroon (except SE) to C Gabon.
- ansorgii Shelley, 1895 - SE Cameroon E to W Kenya, S to E Congo, C Zaire and NW Tanzania.
- angolensis Neumann, 1908 - S Gabon and S Congo S to NW Angola and S Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 7 photos
Foraging on the underside of a branch.
Locality Semliki National Park, Uganda (ssp ansorgii)
David Beadle 14 February 2014 9 weeks ago 4
Front view of a bird looking from a small branch on a tree.
Locality Uganda (ssp ansorgii)
Pete Morris 23 August 2006 49 weeks ago 3.8
Adult ? on a branch
Locality Kribi, South Province, Cameroon (ssp T.h. flavipunctata)
Bernard Guevorts 10 August 2014 18 weeks ago 3.7
Locality Antwikwaa, Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp hirsuta)
Nik Borrow 1 April 2012 2 years ago 3.7
A side view of an adult
Locality Bobiri Forest Reserve, Ashanti Region, Ghana (ssp hirsuta)
Lars Petersson 29 January 2013 47 weeks ago 3.6
Adult in canopy
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp flavipunctata)
Photo-ay 3 January 2010 4 years ago 3