Hairy-breasted Barbet (Tricholaema hirsuta) - HBW 7, p. 187
French: Barbican hérissé
Spanish: Barbudo Hirsuto
Other common names: Hairy-breasted Toothbill; Spot-headed Barbet (flavipunctata)
Taxonomy: Pogonias hirsutus Swainson, 1821, Ghana.
No close relatives. Exact delimitation of races difficult owing to intergradation; nominate and race flavipunctata hybridize over an extensive zone, roughly from Ghana to S Nigeria; proposed races hybrida (Niger Delta) and chapini (SE Cameroon E to C Zaire) considered indistinguishable from, respectively, nominate and ansorgii. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- hirsuta (Swainson, 1821) - Sierra Leone E to SC Nigeria (Niger Delta).
- flavipunctata J. Verreaux & E. Verreaux, 1855 - from at least SE Nigeria through Cameroon (except SE) to C Gabon.
- ansorgii Shelley, 1895 - SE Cameroon E to W Kenya, S to E Congo, C Zaire and NW Tanzania.
- angolensis Neumann, 1908 - S Gabon and S Congo S to NW Angola and S Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Locality Antwikwaa, Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp hirsuta)
Nik Borrow 1 April 2012 51 weeks ago 3.7
Adult in canopy
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana (ssp flavipunctata)
Photo-ay 3 January 2010 3 years ago 3
Perched in tree
Locality Kibale National Park, Uganda
Jason Anderson 7 August 2010 2 years ago 2.6