Grey-cheeked Bulbul (Alophoixus bres) - HBW 10, p. 226
French: Bulbul brès
Spanish: Bulbul Bres
Other common names: Grey-cheeked Bearded Bulbul, Olive White-throated Bulbul; Scrub Bulbul (nominate)
Taxonomy: Lanius Bres Lesson, 1831, Bogor, Java.
Genus often merged with Criniger; recent molecular evidence, however, strongly supports the view that the relationship between the two is remote, despite close similarity in appearance. Proposed taxon bartelsi (from Java) is a synonym of nominate. Putative race balicus (E Java, Bali) said to have browner ear-coverts than W Javan birds, but this feature also present on many specimens from latter region; better considered, therefore, a synonym of nominate. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- tephrogenys (Jardine & Selby, 1833) - S Myanmar (Tenasserim S of c. 14° N), S Thailand, Peninsular Malaysia (not Singapore) and E Sumatra.
- bres (Lesson, 1831) - Java and Bali.
- gutturalis (Bonaparte, 1850) - Borneo.
- frater (Sharpe, 1877) - W Philippines (Calamians, Palawan, Balabac).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 3.8 an individual ... Philippine..., Mar 2013 Frederic Pelsy
- 3.8 A bird perched... Philippine..., Oct 2013 Carmelo López
- 3.7 Portrait of a ... Philippine..., Jan 2004 Klaus Lachenmaier
- 3.6 Ventral view o... Philippine..., Jan 2004 Klaus Lachenmaier
- 3 An adult bird ... Peninsular..., Jan 2009 Pierre de Chabannes