Grey Apalis (Apalis cinerea) - HBW 11, p. 479
French: Apalis cendrée
Spanish: Apalis Gris
Taxonomy: Euprinodes cinereus Sharpe, 1891, Mount Elgon, Kenya.
Forms a superspecies with A. alticola; the two have often been treated as conspecific, but are sympatric in S Kenya and N Tanzania. Proposed race funebris (SE Nigeria, SW Cameroon highlands, NE Gabon) described on basis of a worn specimen; treated as a synonym of nominate, despite large gap in distribution. Birds on Mt Cameroon, included in sclateri, are somewhat intermediate between that race and nominate. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- sclateri (Alexander, 1903) - SW Cameroon (Mt Cameroon) and Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- cinerea (Sharpe, 1891) - SE Nigeria, highlands of SW Cameroon (except Mt Cameroon), and NE Gabon; E DRCongo, Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi, S Sudan, W Kenya and N Tanzania.
- grandis Boulton, 1931 - SW Angola.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No sound recordings available yet