Green Twinspot (Mandingoa nitidula) - HBW 15, p. 311
French: Astrild vert
Spanish: Estrilda Verde
Other common names: Green-backed Twinspot; Schlegel's Twinspot (schlegeli)
Taxonomy: Estrelda nitidula Hartlaub, 1865, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa.
Genus sometimes subsumed in Hypargos, but more closely related to Cryptospiza. Proposed race virginiae (described from R Opu, on Bioko I) treated as a synonym of schlegeli. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- schlegeli ( Sharpe, 1870) - W Guinea and Sierra Leone E, discontinuously, to DRCongo and W Uganda, S to NW Angola; also Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- chubbi ( Ogilvie-Grant, 1912) - Ethiopia, Kenya, Tanzania (including Pemba I), Zanzibar, Zambia and N Malawi.
- nitidula ( Hartlaub, 1865) - S Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, E South Africa (Limpopo Province, KwaZulu-Natal and E Eastern Cape) and W Swaziland.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Taking a bath, inside a forest. Locality Lake Langano, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp chubbi)
Fran Trabalon 23 November 2012 2 years ago 19 sec 3.5
A juvenile on the ground, feeding on grass. Locality Wondo Genet, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp chubbi)
Josep del Hoyo 1 December 2005 9 years ago 20 sec 3.4
A dorsal view of a bird on a branch Locality Mabira Forest, Uganda (ssp schlegeli)
Josep del Hoyo 15 September 2006 7 years ago 33 sec 3.2
Taking a bath, in small stream inside the forest.
Locality Lake Langano, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp chubbi)
Fran Trabalon 23 November 2012 2 years ago 3.6
Male feeding on seed, from the bird hide
Locality Dlinza Forest Nature Reserve, KwaZulu Natal Province, South Africa
croftess 13 October 2014 34 weeks ago 3.5
A bird perched on a branch in the canopy.
Locality Swadini Reserve, Blyde River Canyon Nature Reserve, Mpumalanga Province, South Africa (ssp nitidula)
Carmelo López 31 October 2010 4 years ago 2.3
Captive bird. Mallorca.
Locality Mallorca, Balearic Islands, Spain
Juan José Bazán Hiraldo 11 March 2006 4 years ago 2.2
- No sound recordings available yet