Green Shrike-babbler (Pteruthius xanthochlorus) - HBW 12, p. 285
French: Allotrie verte
Spanish: Timalí-alcaudón Verde
Taxonomy: Pteruthius xanthochlorus J. E. Gray and G. R. Gray, 1847, Nepal.
Relationships of genus uncertain; most of recent studies suggest that it does not belong in current family, and recent molecular analyses indicate that it should be placed in the New World family Vireonidae. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- occidentalis Harington, 1913 - W Himalayas from NE Pakistan E to W Nepal.
- xanthochlorus J. E. Gray & G. R. Gray, 1847 - C Nepal E to Bhutan, NE India (C Arunachal Pradesh) and adjacent S China (SE Xizang).
- hybrida Harington, 1913 - NE India (Nagaland S to Mizoram) and W Myanmar.
- pallidus (David, 1871) - N Myanmar, and SC & SE China from SE Gansu and S Shaanxi S to W & N Sichuan, Yunnan (except S) and S Guizhou, and S Zhejiang and N Fujian.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 7 photos
Locality Cheli la, Bhutan
Markus Lilje 25 February 2014 33 weeks ago 4.5
On a branch
Locality Mandala Road, Dirang, West Kameng District, Arunachal Pradesh, India (ssp xanthochlorus)
Morten Venaas 18 March 2010 3 years ago 4.3
Perched in a tree
Locality Eaglenest Wildlife Sanctuary, West Kameng District, Arunachal Pradesh, India (ssp xanthochlorus)
Jan Wendeby 16 January 2008 2 years ago 3.8
An individual perched on a branch.
Locality Mount Victoria (Nat Ma Taung), Chin State, Myanmar (ssp hybrida)
James Eaton 1 February 2011 3 years ago 3.7
An elusive bird.
Locality Punakha District, Bhutan (ssp xanthochlorus)
Ken Havard 13 April 2011 4 years ago 3.6
Male on branch.
Locality Longcanggou Nature Reserve, Yingjing County, Sichuan, China (Northern) (ssp pallidus)
Phillip Edwards 7 May 2015 33 weeks ago 3.5