Green Crombec (Sylvietta virens) - HBW 11, p. 688
French: Crombec vert
Spanish: Crombec Verde
Other common names: Green Sylvetta; Yellow-bellied Crombec (flaviventris)
Taxonomy: Sylvietta virens Cassin, 1859, Setté Cama, Gabon.
Race flaviventris sometimes thought to represent a separate species, but intergrades with nominate in Nigeria (around lower R Niger). Proposed race meridionalis (from NW Angola) synonymized with tando. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- flaviventris (Sharpe, 1877) - Gambia, S Senegal, S Mali, and S Guinea S to Liberia and E to SW Nigeria.
- virens Cassin, 1859 - SE Nigeria E to SW Central African Republic, S to Gabon and middle R Congo.
- baraka (Sharpe, 1897) - DRCongo (E of middle R Congo) E to S Sudan (Bengangai Forest, Imatongs), W & S Uganda and W Kenya (Busia District), S to extreme NE Angola, Rwanda, Burundi and extreme NW Tanzania (Bukoba).
- tando W. L. Sclater, 1927 - S PRCongo and lower R Congo S to NW Angola (Cabinda, and Uige S to Luanda, Malanje and N Cuanza Sul).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
Locality Mabamba Wetland, Uganda (ssp baraka)
Nik Borrow 16 August 2011 41 weeks ago 4.5
Green Crombec, hiding in dense thickets and tangled secondary forest vegetation, suddenly venturing in the open for a few second
Locality Brufut, Western Division, The Gambia
Frans Vandewalle 20 February 2010 1 year ago 3.6
Single bird in tree on lake edge.
Locality Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda (ssp baraka)
Tom Tarrant 30 December 2005 4 years ago 2.3