Green Crombec (Sylvietta virens) - HBW 11, p. 688
French: Crombec vert
Spanish: Crombec Verde
Other common names: Green Sylvetta; Yellow-bellied Crombec (flaviventris)
Taxonomy: Sylvietta virens Cassin, 1859, Setté Cama, Gabon.
Race flaviventris sometimes thought to represent a separate species, but intergrades with nominate in Nigeria (around lower R Niger). Proposed race meridionalis (from NW Angola) synonymized with tando. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- flaviventris (Sharpe, 1877) - Gambia, S Senegal, S Mali, and S Guinea S to Liberia and E to SW Nigeria.
- virens Cassin, 1859 - SE Nigeria E to SW Central African Republic, S to Gabon and middle R Congo.
- baraka (Sharpe, 1897) - DRCongo (E of middle R Congo) E to S Sudan (Bengangai Forest, Imatongs), W & S Uganda and W Kenya (Busia District), S to extreme NE Angola, Rwanda, Burundi and extreme NW Tanzania (Bukoba).
- tando W. L. Sclater, 1927 - S PRCongo and lower R Congo S to NW Angola (Cabinda, and Uige S to Luanda, Malanje and N Cuanza Sul).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Locality Mabamba Wetland, Uganda (ssp baraka)
Nik Borrow 16 August 2011 2 years ago 4.3
Green Crombec, hiding in dense thickets and tangled secondary forest vegetation, suddenly venturing in the open for a few second
Locality Brufut, Western Division, The Gambia
Frans Vandewalle 20 February 2010 2 years ago 3.8
Locality Kakum National Park, Central Region, Ghana
Markus Lilje 6 January 2016 14 weeks ago 3.3
Single bird in tree on lake edge.
Locality Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda (ssp baraka)
Tom Tarrant 30 December 2005 6 years ago 2.3