Green-backed Eremomela (Eremomela canescens) - HBW 11, p. 684
French: Érémomèle grisonnante
Spanish: Eremomela Dorsiverde
Taxonomy: Eremomela? canescens Antinori, 1864, Djiu River, Bahr el Ghazal, south-west Sudan.
Forms a superspecies with E. pusilla, E. scotops and E. gregalis. Has been treated as conspecific with first of those, with which it hybridizes along Cameroon-Central African Republic border. Proposed race elgonensis (from W Kenya and adjacent Uganda) evidently an intergrade between elegans and nominate, and synonymized with latter. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- canescens Antinori, 1864 - S Chad, E Cameroon, Central African Republic, S Sudan, extreme N & NE DRCongo, N & E Uganda and W Kenya.
- elegans Heuglin, 1864 - W & C Sudan (Darfur and Kordofan E to Sennar).
- abyssinica Bannerman, 1911 - E Sudan (Kassala to R Sobat), N Eritrea, W Ethiopia (S to R Omo).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
- No sound recordings available yet