Greater Blue-eared Starling (Lamprotornis chalybaeus) - HBW 14, p. 752
French: Choucador à oreillons bleus
Spanish: Estornino Orejiazul
Other common names: (Greater) Blue-eared/Green Glossy Starling
Taxonomy: Lamprotornis chalybaeus Hemprich and Ehrenberg, 1828, Ambukol, Dongla district, Sudan.
Race nordmanni sometimes treated as a synonym of sycobius. Proposed race hartlaubi (described from Senegal), formerly used for N populations (E to Sudan), is regarded as synonymous with nominate. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- chalybaeus Hemprich & Ehrenberg, 1828 - S Mauritania, Senegambia, S Mali, Burkina Faso, S Niger and N Nigeria E to C Sudan; dry-season visitor to N Ivory Coast, Togo and Benin.
- cyaniventris Blyth, 1855 - Eritrea, Ethiopia, NW Somalia, N Uganda, E DRCongo and N Kenya.
- sycobius ( Hartlaub, 1859) - SW Uganda, S Kenya, Rwanda, Burundi, Tanzania, SE DRCongo, N & E Zambia, Malawi and W Mozambique.
- nordmanni ( E. J. O. Hartert & Neumann, 1914) - S Angola and N Namibia E to N & E Botswana, S Zambia, Zimbabwe, NE South Africa and S Mozambique.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 25 videos
birds singing while perched on the ground, with close-up of one bird Locality Shingwedzi, Kruger National Park, South Africa (ssp nordmanni)
Tom Heijnen 6 August 2011 10 weeks ago 27 sec 4.8
Perched bird in a tree Locality Kruger National Park, South Africa
Juan Sanabria 1 August 2013 46 weeks ago 1 min 9 sec 4.8
A bird feeding on the ground. Locality Imi, Ethiopia (ssp cyaniventris)
Josep del Hoyo 5 December 2005 8 years ago 20 sec 4.6
bird looking around Locality Marakissa, Western Division, The Gambia (ssp chalybaeus)
Daniêl Jimenez 3 January 2012 2 years ago 16 sec 4.6
frontal view Locality Nianing, Thiès Region, Senegal
Juan Sanabria 1 January 2009 5 years ago 28 sec 4.5
A bird in a tree, ejecting a pellet and flying away. Locality Yabelo, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp cyaniventris)
Josep del Hoyo 12 December 2005 8 years ago 11 sec 4.4
PhotosSee all 53 photos
Greater Blue-eared Starling (Lamprotornis chalybaeus)
Locality Jemmu Valley, Ethiopia
Jacques Erard 15 October 2009 37 weeks ago 4.5
One of a flock, in a dry river bed.
Locality Adwa, Tigray Region, Ethiopia
Christian Weiss 29 September 2012 1 year ago 4.5
Close up of the head (Skukuza restcamp)
Locality Kruger National Park, South Africa
Ghislain Gosse 21 August 2011 2 years ago 4.5
perching among braches of Acacia seyal
Locality Waza National Park, Far North Province, Cameroon (ssp chalybaeus)
Marco Valentini 5 January 2011 2 years ago 4.5
Two birds perched.
Locality Shambat, Khartoum, Khartoum State, Sudan (ssp chalybaeus)
mohammmmad alamin khogaly... 1 year ago 4.4
A bird feeding on the sreet
Locality Khartoum, Khartoum State, Sudan
hythumm 17 October 2013 39 weeks ago 4.3
- No sound recordings available yet