Great Hornbill (Buceros bicornis) - HBW 6, p. 503
French: Calao bicorne
Spanish: Cálao Bicorne
Other common names: Great Indian/Great Pied/Giant Hornbill, Concave-casqued Hornbill
Taxonomy: Buceros bicornis Linnaeus, 1758, Bengkulu, Sumatra.
Forms a superspecies with B. rhinoceros. Hybridization with latter reported both in wild and in captivity. Birds from Asian mainland have been separated as race homrai on basis of larger size, but variation seems to be clinal; SW Indian population described as race cavatus, but apparently inseparable from those in N of Subcontinent. Monotypic.
Distribution: Western Ghats (SW India); S Himalayas (Garhwal and Kumaon) E to NC Myanmar, S China (W Yunnan) and Vietnam, and S to Malay Peninsula and Sumatra.
- Near Threatened Enlarge map
VideosSee all 29 videos
- 4.5 adult regurgit... Peninsular..., Aug 2013 Martin Kennewell
- 4.4 A bird feeding... Thailand, Feb 2010 Yoel Jimenez
- 4.3 A male bringin... Thailand, 2000 Soon Chye Ng
- 4.3 A bird feeding... Thailand, Feb 2010 Yoel Jimenez
- 3.9 A male bringin... Thailand, 2000 Soon Chye Ng
- 3.9 Two bird feedi... Thailand, Feb 2010 Yoel Jimenez
PhotosSee all 23 photos
- 4.6 Eating black s... Bhutan, Apr 2013 Lee Hunter
- 4.1 A male flying. Vietnam, Jan 2010 Igor Palko
- 3.8 A male perched India, Feb 2012 vasanthan.p.j
- 3.8 The Great Indi... India, Feb 2012 nikhil_ambekar
- 3.6 Portrait of a ... Germany, Oct 2009 Tomasz Doroń
- 3.5 Just along the... Thailand, May 2007 Daniêl Jimenez