Great Hornbill (Buceros bicornis) - HBW 6, p. 503
French: Calao bicorne
Spanish: Cálao Bicorne
Other common names: Great Indian/Great Pied/Giant Hornbill, Concave-casqued Hornbill
Taxonomy: Buceros bicornis Linnaeus, 1758, Bengkulu, Sumatra.
Forms a superspecies with B. rhinoceros. Hybridization with latter reported both in wild and in captivity. Birds from Asian mainland have been separated as race homrai on basis of larger size, but variation seems to be clinal; SW Indian population described as race cavatus, but apparently inseparable from those in N of Subcontinent. Monotypic.
Distribution: Western Ghats (SW India); S Himalayas (Garhwal and Kumaon) E to NC Myanmar, S China (W Yunnan) and Vietnam, and S to Malay Peninsula and Sumatra.
- Near Threatened Enlarge map
VideosSee all 27 videos
- 3.7 A close-up of ... USA (Unite..., Jun 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.5 A bird high in... Thailand, Nov 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.5 A grown chick ... India, Aug 2008 Juan Sanabria
- 3.4 Male bird in a... Thailand, May 2007 Yoel Jimenez
- 3.4 An adult in a ... Thailand, Nov 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.3 dismantling dr... Thailand, Mar 2012 Martin Kennewell
PhotosSee all 21 photos
- 3.3 An adult perch... Thailand, Dec 2008 Carmelo López
- 3.3 A male perched... India, Feb 2010 vasanthan.p.j
- 3.3 adult perched Thailand, Mar 2013 Marco Valentini
- 3.1 A male perched India, Feb 2012 vasanthan.p.j
- 3 A bird feeding... India, Feb 2010 vasanthan.p.j
- 3 A bird perched... India, Feb 2010 vasanthan.p.j