Great Barbet (Megalaima virens) - HBW 7, p. 199
French: Barbu géant
Spanish: Barbudo Grande
Other common names: Giant Barbet, Giant/Great Hill Barbet, Great Himalayan/Himalayan Great Barbet
Taxonomy: Bucco virens Boddaert, 1783, China.
Related to M. lagrandieri, but not very closely. Races weakly to moderately marked; Indochinese birds, described as race indochinensis, now considered indistinguishable from nominate; birds of Mishmi Hills (NE Assam) formerly recognized as race mayri, but inseparable from clamator. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- marshallorum (Swinhoe, 1870) - NE Pakistan and NW India E to W Nepal.
- magnifica Stuart Baker, 1926 - E Nepal E to C Assam.
- clamator Mayr, 1941 - NE Assam, N Myanmar, SW China (W Yunnan) and NW Thailand.
- virens (Boddaert, 1783) - C Myanmar and SE China S to NC Thailand and N Vietnam.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 11 videos
PhotosSee all 9 photos
Calling in morning Locality Jim Corbett National Park, Uttarakhand, India
RAM GOPAL SONI 1 November 1996 3 years ago 3
Clear duetting song Locality Kaeng Krachan National Park, Western Thailand, Thailand
Niels Poul Dreyer 20 January 2010 3 years ago 2
Alarm call Locality Lava, Darjeeling District, West Bengal, India
Niels Poul Dreyer 15 April 2003 41 weeks ago 0
call Locality Lava, Darjeeling District, West Bengal, India
Niels Poul Dreyer 17 April 2003 41 weeks ago 0