Golden-crowned Tanager (Iridosornis rufivertex) - HBW 16, p. 209
French: Tangara auréolé
Spanish: Tangara Coronidorada
Other common names: Blue-bellied Tanager (caeruleoventris)
Taxonomy: Arremon rufi-vertex Lafresnaye, 1842, Bolivia; error = Bogotá region of east Andes, Colombia.
May form a superspecies with I. reinhardti, and sometimes considered conspecific, although there are significant morphological differences. Race caeruleoventris may be a separate species; conversely, ignicapillus and subsimilis differ little from nominate and possibly better synonymized with latter. Four subspecies tentatively recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- caeruleoventris Chapman, 1915 - N end of W Andes (Paramillo) and N part of C Andes (Antioquia S to Tolima), in NW Colombia.
- ignicapillus Chapman, 1915 - SW Colombia (spottily at S end of W & C Andes).
- subsimilis J. T. Zimmer, 1944 - W slope of Andes in Ecuador (S to upper Chiriboga road, in Pichincha).
- rufivertex (Lafresnaye, 1842) - Andes of SW Venezuela (S Táchira), both slopes of adjacent E Andes of Colombia (S to Cundinamarca and on E slope in Nariño), and entire E slope of Andes in Ecuador S to N Peru (near Piura–Cajamarca border and N of Marañón Valley).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird eating a flower on a branch and flying away. Locality Tapichalaca Reserve, Zamora-Chinchipe Province, Ecuador (ssp rufivertex)
Josep del Hoyo 13 November 2014 52 weeks ago 21 sec 4.4
A bird feeding and moving around in bushes. Locality Loro Orejiamarillo Natural Reserve, Jardín, Antioquía Department, Colombia (ssp caeruleoventris)
Keith Blomerley 10 November 2012 3 years ago 12 sec 4
A bird moving among branches Locality Quito, Pichincha Province, Ecuador (ssp subsimilis)
Bill Wayman 31 October 2002 8 years ago 27 sec 4
Birds on bushes in the hillside Locality Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve, Ecuador
Juan Sanabria 1 November 2013 2 years ago 28 sec 3.5
Slow-motioned views of birds eating small fruits on a bush Locality Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve, Ecuador
Juan Sanabria 1 November 2013 2 years ago 42 sec 3
PhotosSee all 9 photos
Locality Papallacta, Napo Province, Ecuador
Marc FASOL 20 July 2013 2 years ago 4
birding tour -b bogota birding
Locality Chingaza National Park, Cundinamarca Department, Colombia
Oswaldo Cortes - BOGOTA B... 2 years ago 3.8
A bird feeding on flowers.
Locality Tapichalaca Reserve, Zamora-Chinchipe Province, Ecuador (ssp rufivertex)
Josep del Hoyo 13 November 2014 51 weeks ago 3.5
Locality Cayambe Coca Ecological Reserve, Ecuador
William Price 7 October 2012 3 years ago 3.5
Male perched on a branch
Locality Yanacocha Reserve, Pichincha Province, Ecuador (ssp subsimilis)
David Weaver 14 May 2011 5 years ago 3
Locality Guandera Biological Station, Carchi Province, Ecuador
Tomas Grim 2 September 2009 26 weeks ago 2.7