Gilded Flicker (Colaptes chrysoides) - HBW 7, p. 513
French: Pic chrysoïde
Spanish: Carpintero de California
Taxonomy: Geopicus (Colaptes) chrysoides Malherbe, 1852, Cape San Lucas, Baja California.
Forms a superspecies with C. auratus. Genetically is not significantly divergent from SW “cafer group” of that species, and treated as conspecific by some authors, but separated to a reasonable extent by habitat preferences, with limited hybridization; considered better treated as allospecies. Races intergrade clinally. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- brunnescens Anthony, 1895 - N & C Baja California.
- chrysoides (Malherbe, 1852) - S Baja California.
- mearnsi Ridgway, 1911 - extreme SE California (Colorado Valley) and S & C Arizona S in desert to NW Mexico (N Sonora).
- tenebrosus van Rossem, 1930 - N Sonora to N Sinaloa.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
single male perched on Saguaro cactus
Locality Tucson, Pima County, Arizona, USA (United States) (ssp mearnsi)
Mat Gilfedder 1 April 2011 2 years ago 4
Perched on ocotillo in our back yard, Green Valley, Pima County, Arizona.
Locality Arizona, USA (United States)
manakin 19 January 2007 4 years ago 4