Fork-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus adsimilis) - HBW 14, p. 223
French: Drongo brillant
Spanish: Drongo Ahorquillado
Other common names: African Drongo
Taxonomy: Corvus adsimilis Bechstein, 1794, Duiwenhok River, southern Cape, South Africa.
Forms a superspecies with D. macrocercus and often treated as conspecific, but differs slightly in plumage and significantly in proportions and voice; close relationship between the two supported by recent DNA studies. Previously, D. fuscipennis, D. modestus, D. waldenii, D. forficatus and D. aldabranus thought to be part of same superspecies, but morphological and genetic differentiation considered too great to validate such a relationship. Race divaricatus intergrades with fugax in N Uganda and Kenya. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- divaricatus (M. H. C. Lichtenstein, 1823) - SW Mauritania, Senegambia and Guinea E in savanna belt to N Cameroon, S Chad, C & S Sudan, Ethiopia, Eritrea and Somalia, S to Central African Republic, N DRCongo, N Uganda and N Kenya.
- apivorus Clancey, 1976 - SE Gabon and adjacent PRCongo, WC & S DRCongo, Angola, N & W Zambia, Namibia, Botswana and N South Africa (N Northern Cape E to N Limpopo).
- fugax W. K. H. Peters, 1868 - Uganda, Kenya and Tanzania (including Zanzibar) S to E Zambia, Malawi, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, E Botswana, NE South Africa (E Limpopo S to NE KwaZulu-Natal) and E Swaziland.
- adsimilis (Bechstein, 1794) - W Swaziland, Lesotho lowlands, and E & S South Africa (S Mpumalanga and KwaZulu-Natal S to SW Western Cape).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 26 videos
A bird perched in a tree. Locality Lake Langano, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp divaricatus)
Josep del Hoyo 30 November 2005 8 years ago 31 sec 4.7
perching and flying Locality Soroti, Uganda (ssp fugax)
Daniêl Jimenez 6 October 2010 3 years ago 24 sec 4.7
On a post Locality Kruger National Park, South Africa
Juan Sanabria 1 August 2013 1 year ago 21 sec 4.6
A close-up of a bird, scratching its head and calling. Locality Lake Langano, Oromia Region, Ethiopia (ssp divaricatus)
Josep del Hoyo 30 November 2005 8 years ago 39 sec 4.4
A dorsal view of a bird on a tree top, preening Locality Mburo Lake National Park, Uganda (ssp fugax)
Josep del Hoyo 13 September 2006 7 years ago 19 sec 4.4
A bird perched on a broken branch, looking around for potential prey and eventually flying away. Locality West Usambara, Usambara Mountains, Tanzania (ssp If Fork-tailed: fugax)
Pieter de Groot Boersma 20 February 2012 2 years ago 21 sec 4.3
PhotosSee all 35 photos
adult with caterpillar
Locality Mkuze Game Reserve, iSimangaliso Wetland Park, KwaZulu Natal Province, South Africa
Tom Heijnen 8 August 2010 50 weeks ago 4.4
Adult perched in a bush
Locality Eastern Cape Province, South Africa
David Brassington 15 April 2012 9 weeks ago 4.3
At the waterhole
Locality Etosha National Park, Namibia
Marco Valentini 19 August 2013 1 year ago 4.3
A juvenile specimen
Locality Amboseli National Park, Kenya
Marco Valentini 30 January 2012 2 years ago 4.2
Bird perched on a broken branch
Locality Rundu, Kavango Region, Namibia (ssp apivorus)
Lutz Dürselen 22 August 2014 13 weeks ago 4
Fork-tailed Drongo (Dicrurus adsimilis)
Locality Senegambia Hotel, Kololi, Western Division, The Gambia
Kilian Wasmer 1 November 2011 44 weeks ago 4