Forest Robin (Stiphrornis erythrothorax) - HBW 10, p. 730
French: Rougegorge de forêt
Spanish: Petirrojo Selvático
Other common names: Orange-throated Forest Robin
Taxonomy: Stiphrornis erythrothorax Hartlaub, 1855, Dabocrom.
Races appear to differ vocally, but recent treatment as four separate species perhaps premature. Proposed race mabirae (DRCongo and Uganda) merged with xanthogaster. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- erythrothorax Hartlaub, 1855 - Sierra Leone E to S Nigeria.
- gabonensis Sharpe, 1883 - W Cameroon S to W Gabon, also Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- xanthogaster Sharpe, 1903 - SE Cameroon and NE Gabon E to N & C DRCongo and S Uganda.
- sanghensis Beresford & Cracraft, 1999 - SW Central African Republic.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird flying to a trunk in the forest floor and defecating Locality Kaniyo Pabidi, Budongo Forest, Uganda (ssp xanthogaster)
Josep del Hoyo 30 August 2006 6 years ago 30 sec 3.6
front view on low perch, calling, becomes alert, flies off Locality Brimso Dam, Central Region, Ghana (ssp erythrothorax)
Martin Kennewell 7 December 2010 2 years ago 17 sec 3.5
Adult ringed in the forest around the Epulu research station.
Locality Epulu, Ituri Province, Zaire (Democratic Republic of the Congo) (ssp xanthogaster)
Tommy Pedersen 14 July 1991 2 years ago 2.6