Fan-tailed Raven (Corvus rhipidurus) - HBW 14, p. 639
French: Corbeau à queue courte
Spanish: Cuervo Colicorto
Taxonomy: Corvus rhipidurus E. J. O. Hartert, 1918, Massaua, Eritrea.
Sometimes allocated its own monotypic genus, Rhinocorax. Certain morphological features, notably the nasal bristles and wing and tail shapes, indicate affinity with African ravens rather than N ones. Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- stanleyi Roselaar, 1993 - E Israel, Palestine and W Jordan, mountains of W & C Arabia (Hejaz and Asir Mts; Tuwaiq escarpment, Gebel Aja and Babel Sama) E into extreme W Oman.
- rhipidurus E. J. O. Hartert, 1918 - E Mali (Adrar des Ipras and Homberi), NW Niger (Aïr Massif and Zinder), Chad (Tibesti and Kapka Mts and elsewhere), NE Central African Republic, highlands of Sudan (including Gebel Elba, on Egyptian border), most of Ethiopia and E to Eritrea, Djibouti and W Somalia, and E Uganda and N & W Kenya.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 8 videos
- 4.6 Two birds eati... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.6 Several birds ... Ethiopia, Dec 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.5 A bird perched... Ethiopia, Nov 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.1 A bird preenin... Ethiopia, Nov 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.9 A bird on rock... Ethiopia, Nov 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.8 one perched by... Ethiopia, Nov 2010 Martin Kennewell
PhotosSee all 15 photos
- 4 A bird on the ... Ethiopia, Nov 2009 Piotr Jonczyk
- 4 Adult on a dea... Ethiopia, Jan 2012 Marco Valentini
- 4 Perched low in... Ethiopia, Jan 2009 David Beadle
- 4 In flight. Ethiopia, Nov 2012 Fran Trabalon
- 3.8 A front view o... Ethiopia, Feb 2009 David Beadle
- 3.8 Flying low ove... Ethiopia, Jan 2009 David Beadle