European White Stork (Ciconia ciconia) - HBW 1, p. 460
French: Cigogne blanche
Spanish: Cigüeña Blanca
Other common names: White Stork
Taxonomy: Ardea Ciconia Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Until recently considered to include C. boyciana, but now generally accepted as separate species (see page 436). Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ciconia (Linnaeus, 1758) - Europe, W Asia, S Africa; winters mostly tropical Africa and S Africa.
- asiatica Severtsov, 1873 - Turkestan; winters Iran to India.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 81 videos
- 4.6 Mating behavio... Spain, Jan 2013 Eduardo Tejeda Lima
- 4.6 Courtship scene Spain, Apr 2009 Juan Sanabria
- 4.5 An individual ... Spain, May 2011 Jesús Laborda
- 4.5 A bird calling... Spain, Apr 2001 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.4 A pair on the ... Spain, Dec 2010 Jesús Laborda
- 4.3 The young bird... Poland, Jul 2010 Jeremiusz Trzaska
PhotosSee all 135 photos
- 4.6 An adult White... Netherland..., Sep 2009 Gerard Visser
- 4.5 Contenders in ... Spain, Mar 2011 Fran Trabalon
- 4.4 bird standing ... India, Feb 2012 Nirav Parekh
- 4.4 Flying Stork Netherland..., Mar 2008 Rob Belterman
- 4.4 Dispute over f... Spain, Feb 2012 Fran Trabalon
- 4.3 Couple on nest France, Apr 2009 Marc FASOL
An individual arriving at nest and bill-clapping with the other member of a pair, who's in the nest yet. Locality Parc Pairi Daiza (Paradisio), Cambron-Casteau, Brugelette, Hainaut Province, Belgium
Josep del Hoyo 4 June 2010 2 years ago 4.3
A pair clappering bills. Locality Axios Delta, Central Macedonia Region, Greece
Theo Mamais 30 March 2008 28 weeks ago 4
Bill-clapping on a nest during the breeding season Locality Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Joe Angseesing 19 March 2008 3 years ago 3.7