European White Stork (Ciconia ciconia) - HBW 1, p. 460
French: Cigogne blanche
Spanish: Cigüeña Blanca
Other common names: White Stork
Taxonomy: Ardea Ciconia Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Until recently considered to include C. boyciana, but now generally accepted as separate species (see page 436). Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ciconia (Linnaeus, 1758) - Europe, W Asia, S Africa; winters mostly tropical Africa and S Africa.
- asiatica Severtsov, 1873 - Turkestan; winters Iran to India.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 101 videos
- 4.4 A pair on the ... Spain, Dec 2010 Jesús Laborda
- 4.4 A big group of... Spain, Aug 2013 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.3 An individual ... Spain, May 2011 Jesús Laborda
- 4.3 The young bird... Poland, Jul 2010 Jeremiusz Trzaska
- 4.2 A bird walking... Morocco, Apr 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.2 A bird swallow... Spain, Apr 2007 Eric Roualet
PhotosSee all 156 photos
An individual arriving at nest and bill-clapping with the other member of a pair, who's in the nest yet. Locality Parc Pairi Daiza (Paradisio), Cambron-Casteau, Brugelette, Hainaut Province, Belgium
Josep del Hoyo 4 June 2010 2 years ago 4.3
Calls by three birds displaying on a pond. Locality El Cortalet, Aiguamolls de l'Empordà Natural Park, Girona Province, Catalonia, Spain
Josep del Hoyo 12 August 2013 10 weeks ago 4
A pair clappering bills. Locality Axios Delta, Central Macedonia Region, Greece
Theo Mamais 30 March 2008 1 year ago 4
Bill-clapping on a nest during the breeding season Locality Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Joe Angseesing 19 March 2008 3 years ago 3.7