European White Stork (Ciconia ciconia) - HBW 1, p. 460
French: Cigogne blanche
Spanish: Cigüeña Blanca
Other common names: White Stork
Taxonomy: Ardea Ciconia Linnaeus, 1758, Sweden.
Until recently considered to include C. boyciana, but now generally accepted as separate species (see page 436). Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ciconia (Linnaeus, 1758) - Europe, W Asia, S Africa; winters mostly tropical Africa and S Africa.
- asiatica Severtsov, 1873 - Turkestan; winters Iran to India.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 82 videos
- 4.2 A bird walking... Morocco, Apr 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.2 A bird swallow... Spain, Apr 2007 Eric Roualet
- 4.1 Juvenile White... Austria, Jul 2010 Andreas Gruber
- 4.1 2 juvenile Whi... Austria, Jul 2010 Andreas Gruber
- 4.1 An adult bird ... Greece, May 2009 Theo Mamais
- 4.1 Filmed in sear... Germany, Nov 2009 Christian Wiesmann
PhotosSee all 135 photos
An individual arriving at nest and bill-clapping with the other member of a pair, who's in the nest yet. Locality Parc Pairi Daiza (Paradisio), Cambron-Casteau, Brugelette, Hainaut Province, Belgium
Josep del Hoyo 4 June 2010 2 years ago 4.3
A pair clappering bills. Locality Axios Delta, Central Macedonia Region, Greece
Theo Mamais 30 March 2008 29 weeks ago 4
Bill-clapping on a nest during the breeding season Locality Rabat, Rabat-Salé-Zemmour-Zaer Region, Morocco
Joe Angseesing 19 March 2008 3 years ago 3.7