Eurasian Crag Martin (Ptyonoprogne rupestris) - HBW 9, p. 673
French: Hirondelle de rochers
Spanish: Avión Roquero
Other common names: Crag Martin, Mountain/Northern Crag Martin
Taxonomy: Hirundo rupestris Scopoli, 1769, Tirol, Austria.
Genus often merged with Hirundo, but DNA studies indicate that the two are sister-taxa. Forms a superspecies with P. fuligula and P. concolor; all three have been considered conspecific, but breeding ranges overlap. Birds from C Asia and S Morocco proposed respectively as races centralasica and theresae on basis of size, but variation not constant. Monotypic.
Distribution: Breeds S & SC Europe (S from S France, S Germany, Austria, Romania), NW Africa (Morocco E to Tunisia and NE Libya),W Arabian Peninsula, and from Asia Minor, Caucasus and Near East (S to Israel) E to Iran, S Russia (E to SW Siberia) and N Mongolia and, in S, to Himalayas (from Pakistan to Bhutan) and W, N & SC China; winters in Mediterranean region, N & NE Africa (also Senegambia and Guinea-Bissau), Middle East, India and S China.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- 4.5 Crag martin se... Spain, May 2007 David Lingard
- 4.3 An adult roost... Spain, Apr 2008 Hans Schick
- 4.3 An adult roost... Spain, May 2009 Hans Schick
- 4.3 Adult sun bath... Spain, Sep 2009 auf
- 4.3 bird standing ... Spain, Apr 2012 Josep Batlle
- 4.3 in flight. Spain, Oct 2012 Fran Trabalon
- 4 An adult roost... Spain, May 2009 Hans Schick
- 4 Adult resting ... Spain, Sep 2009 auf
- 4 in flight Israel, Jan 2013 Lior Kislev
- 3.5 An individual ... Greece, May 2012 Paschalis Dougalis
- 3.4 adult incubati... France, May 2011 Georges Olioso
- 3.3 Chicks on the ... Spain, Aug 2007 Luis Mario Arce
- 2.3 Bird near a ri... Spain, Jun 2012 Juan Gonzalez Valdivieso
- 2.3 On a cliff Switzerlan..., oleicfrisbee