Cuban Green Woodpecker (Xiphidiopicus percussus) - HBW 7, p. 454
French: Pic poignardé
Spanish: Carpintero Tajá
Other common names: Cuban Woodpecker
Taxonomy: Picus percussus Temminck, 1826, Cuba.
Distinctive, with no very close relatives. Four additional races have been named, but species exhibits considerable variation in size and coloration throughout range, and much overlap in characters among different populations; thus, described races monticola (E Cuba) and cocoensis (Cayo Coco and nearby cays) are regarded as synonyms of nominate race, and gloriae (Cantiles Keys) and marthae (Cayo Caballones) as synonyms of insulaepinorum. Two subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- percussus (Temminck, 1826) - Cuba, including archipelagos of Sabana and Camagüey.
- insulaepinorum Bangs, 1910 - I of Pines, Cantiles Keys and Archipiélago Jardines de la Reina (Cayo Caballones).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 10 videos
- 4.8 A female movin... Cuba, Jul 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.3 Bird foraging ... Cuba, Mar 2013 Desmond Allen
- 4.3 A female on a ... Cuba, Aug 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.8 A female on a ... Cuba, Aug 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.3 A female pecki... Cuba, Jul 2004 Josep del Hoyo
- 3.2 A bird in a tr... Cuba, Aug 2004 Josep del Hoyo
PhotosSee all 9 photos
- 4.4 Seen at the ne... Cuba, Feb 2012 David Lingard
- 4.4 Cuban Green Wo... Cuba, Mar 2012 Manfred Bienert
- 4 Cuban Green Wo... Cuba, Mar 2012 Manfred Bienert
- 4 Striking male ... Cuba, Sep 2010 Carlos Rodriguez
- 3.8 Bird in flower... Cuba, Mar 2013 Desmond Allen
- 3.8 Bird feeding w... Cuba, Mar 2013 Desmond Allen