Colima Pygmy-owl (Glaucidium palmarum) - HBW 5, p. 215
French: Chevêchette du Colima
Spanish: Mochuelo de Colima
Taxonomy: Glaucidium palmarum Nelson, 1901, Tepic, Nayarit.
Considered member of G. minutissimum complex, which also includes G. sanchezi, G. griseiceps, G. parkeri and G. hardyi; further study needed to determine true relationships. Recently separated from G. minutissimum on basis of vocalizations. Racial differentiation uncertain, perhaps only individual variation or polymorphy. Three subspecies tentatively recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- oberholseri R. T. Moore, 1937 - S Sonora to S Sinaloa (NW Mexico).
- palmarum Nelson, 1901 - Nayarit to Oaxaca (C Mexico).
- griscomi R. T. Moore, 1947 - SW Morelos and NE Guerrero (C Mexico).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
This little bird was calling for a while
Locality Puebla State, Mexico (Northern)
albert 24 November 2012 23 weeks ago 4
Locality Panuco Road, Sinaloa State, Mexico (Northern) (ssp oberholseri)
Michael Retter 1 January 2009 3 years ago 3.6
A bird on a day roost.
Locality Panuco Road, Sinaloa State, Mexico (Northern)
Ken Havard 28 February 2005 2 years ago 2.4
- No sound recordings available yet