Chestnut Owlet (Glaucidium castaneum) - HBW 5, p. 223
French: Chevêchette châtaine
Spanish: Mochuelo Castaño
Other common names: Chestnut Barred Owlet; Lake District/Ituri Owlet (castaneum)
Taxonomy: Glaucidium castaneum Neumann, 1893, Andundi, Zaire.
Has been suggested as forming superspecies with G. capense and G. albertinum. Has been treated as conspecific with G. capense; or sometimes disjunct race etchecopari alone placed with latter or even treated as separate species on grounds of distribution and ecology. Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- etchecopari Érard & Roux, 1983 - patchily in Liberia and Ivory Coast.
- castaneum Neumann, 1893 - NE Zaire (Semliki Valley) and SW Uganda (Bwamba Forest).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No photographs available yet
- No sound recordings available yet