Chapin's Mountain Babbler (Kupeornis chapini) - HBW 12, p. 229
French: Phyllanthe de Chapin
Spanish: Charlatán de Chapin
Other common names: Chapin’s Babbler
Taxonomy: Kupeornis chapini Schouteden, 1949, Mongbwalu, north-east DRCongo.
Genus has been merged with Lioptilus, but perhaps closer to Phyllanthus; differs from latter in smaller and weaker bill with relatively broader base (less laterally compressed), more slit-like nostrils (as Turdoides), and more slender feet. Present species forms a superspecies with K. rufocinctus, and sometimes considered to be conspecific. Individuals of present species seen in mountains W of L Kivu not assigned to race, but possibly belong with nominate. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- chapini Schouteden, 1949 - E DRCongo (from W of L Albert S to W of L Edward).
- nyombensis (Prigogine, 1960) - Mt Nyombe region of E DRCongo.
- kalindei (Prigogine, 1964) - W of N end of L Tanganyika (E DRCongo).
- Near Threatened
- No videos available yet
- No photographs available yet
- No sound recordings available yet