Buff-spotted Woodpecker (Campethera nivosa) - HBW 7, p. 463
French: Pic tacheté
Spanish: Pito Nevado
Taxonomy: Dendromus nivosus Swainson, 1837, West Africa.
Race maxima, known only from 2 specimens from N Ivory Coast, doubtfully valid, possibly only larger form of nominate. Latter intergrades with race herberti, the resultant intermediates formerly known as race efulenensis; yalensis (W Kenya) synonymized with herberti. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- nivosa (Swainson, 1837) - Senegambia E to Cameroon and W Zaire and S to NW Angola and NW Zambia.
- maxima Traylor, 1970 - N Ivory Coast.
- poensis Alexander, 1903 - Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- herberti (Alexander, 1908) - S Central African Republic and extreme SW Sudan (Bangangai Forest) to W Kenya (Kakamega and S Nandi Forests) and S to SC & E Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird foraging on a branch and flying away Locality Buhoma, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda (ssp herberti)
Josep del Hoyo 8 September 2006 5 years ago 26 sec 3.7
A female pecking on a trunk Locality Abuko Nature Reserve, Abuko, Western Division, The Gambia (ssp nivosa)
Eldert Groenewoud 24 October 2005 5 years ago 6 sec 3
- No sound recordings available yet