Buff-spotted Woodpecker (Campethera nivosa) - HBW 7, p. 463
French: Pic tacheté
Spanish: Pito Nevado
Taxonomy: Dendromus nivosus Swainson, 1837, West Africa.
Race maxima, known only from 2 specimens from N Ivory Coast, doubtfully valid, possibly only larger form of nominate. Latter intergrades with race herberti, the resultant intermediates formerly known as race efulenensis; yalensis (W Kenya) synonymized with herberti. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- nivosa (Swainson, 1837) - Senegambia E to Cameroon and W Zaire and S to NW Angola and NW Zambia.
- maxima Traylor, 1970 - N Ivory Coast.
- poensis Alexander, 1903 - Bioko I (Fernando Póo).
- herberti (Alexander, 1908) - S Central African Republic and extreme SW Sudan (Bangangai Forest) to W Kenya (Kakamega and S Nandi Forests) and S to SC & E Zaire.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird feeding on ants and its nesting tree. Locality Pirang Forest Park, Pirang, Western Division, The Gambia (ssp nivosa)
Yoel Jimenez 12 November 2014 26 weeks ago 43 sec 4.7
A bird foraging on a branch and flying away Locality Buhoma, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda (ssp herberti)
Josep del Hoyo 8 September 2006 8 years ago 26 sec 3.3
A female pecking on a trunk Locality Abuko Nature Reserve, Abuko, Western Division, The Gambia (ssp nivosa)
Eldert Groenewoud 24 October 2005 7 years ago 6 sec 3
we met it in vegetation along forest patways.
Locality Buhoma, Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
ahmet karataş 30 January 2015 14 weeks ago 4.5
A female clinging to a tree trunk.
Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda (ssp herberti)
David Beadle 12 February 2014 51 weeks ago 3.5
Adult in low tree
Locality Farasuto Forest, Kuloro, Western Division, The Gambia (ssp nivosa)
Yvonne Stevens 23 February 2009 5 years ago 3.5
Locality Kakamega Forest, Kenya (ssp herberti)
Adam Riley 21 May 2009 41 weeks ago 3.2
- No sound recordings available yet