Brown-backed Woodpecker (Dendrocopos obsoletus) - HBW 7, p. 473
French: Pic à dos brun
Spanish: Pico Dorsipardo
Other common names: Lesser White-spotted Woodpecker
Taxonomy: Picus obsoletus Wagler, 1829, Senegambia.
Genus sometimes merged into Picoides. Species has also been included with other African species in Dendropicos, but probably more closely related to Asian D. temminckii, D. maculatus and D.moluccensis. S Ethiopian birds described as a separate race nigricans, but considered indistinguishable from ingens. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- obsoletus (Wagler, 1829) - Senegambia E to W Sudan and Uganda (E to Teso), S to C Sierra Leone, S Cameroon and NE Zaire.
- heuglini (Neumann, 1904) - E Sudan, N Ethiopia and Eritrea.
- ingens (Hartert, 1900) - WC & S Ethiopia, NE Uganda, W & C Kenya and extreme N Tanzania (Loliondo).
- crateri (W. L. Sclater & Moreau, 1935) - N Tanzania from Crater Highlands S to Nou Forest.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
PhotosSee all 10 photos
Locality Ngorongoro Crater, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Serengeti, Tanzania
Markus Lilje 3 May 2015 33 weeks ago 4.8
Locality Ngorongoro Crater, Ngorongoro Conservation Area, Serengeti, Tanzania (ssp crateri)
Nik Borrow 13 March 2015 1 year ago 4.3
Locality Brufut, Western Division, The Gambia
Paul Cools 4 February 2012 3 years ago 4.1
Locality The Gambia (ssp obsoletus)
Nik Borrow 10 January 2007 6 years ago 3.8
Locality Mole National Park, Northern Region, Ghana
Markus Lilje 13 December 2015 12 weeks ago 3.8
A male clinging to a vertical branch.
Locality Murchison Falls National Park, Uganda (ssp obsoletus)
David Beadle 7 February 2014 1 year ago 3.4
- No sound recordings available yet