Blue-faced Honeyeater (Entomyzon cyanotis) - HBW 13, p. 676
Méliphage à oreillons bleus
Spanish: Mielero Cariazul
Other common names: White-quilled Honeyeater
cyanotis Latham, 1801, Nova Hollandia = Sydney, New South Wales,
Closely allied to Melithreptus; allied also to Manorina. Race griseigularis formerly referred to by name harterti, but holotype of latter (from Cooktown, in N Queensland) is intergrade between S New Guinea/N Australian population and nominate race of E Australia. Proposed race apsleyi (Melville I, in Northern Territory) synonymized with albipennis. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- griseigularis van Oort, 1909 - S New Guinea (Trans-Fly and Digoel region, from Merauke E to Wassi Kussa R) and N Australia (Cape York Peninsula, in N Queensland).
- albipennis Gould, 1841 - N Western Australia (Kimberley Division) E across Top End of Northern Territory (including Melville I) to extreme NW Queensland (Nicholson-Leichhardt rivers, on S Gulf of Carpentaria).
- cyanotis (Latham, 1801) - E Australia from base of Cape York Peninsula S (in Queensland E of Thomson-Barcoo Drainage Basin) to NC & NW Victoria (mainly along Murray R and N foothills of Great Divide) and in SE South Australia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 16 videos
- 4.7 A bird feeding... Australia, Oct 2010 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.6 A close-up of ... Australia, Jul 2007 Nick Talbot
- 4.4 A bird perched... Australia, Jul 2007 Eldert Groenewoud
- 4.4 An adult perch... Australia, Mar 1995 Tom Tarrant
- 4.3 an adult bird ... Australia, Apr 2010 marianhw
- 4.3 A bird moving ... Australia, Nov 2003 Keith Blomerley
PhotosSee all 30 photos
- 4.3 Adult bird in ... Australia, Nov 2010 David Taylor
- 4.3 Blue-faced Hon... Australia, Nov 2007 BirdExplorers
- 4.3 A bird feeding... Australia, Brian J. Coates
- 4.2 adult in a tree Australia, Sep 2007 Georges Olioso
- 4 drinking Australia, Sep 2007 Georges Olioso
- 4 An immature bl... Australia, Dec 2009 David Nowell
Two birds moving in its outdoor cage and giving calls Locality Zoo Basel (Zolli), Basel, Basel-Stadt Canton, Switzerland
Michael C 16 January 2010 3 years ago 4
A group of birds squabbling with Noisy Miners in a park. Locality Banora Green, Banora Point, Tweed Heads, New South Wales, Australia
Nick Talbot 18 August 2012 37 weeks ago 0