Blue-breasted Kingfisher (Halcyon malimbica) - HBW 6, p. 211
French: Martin-chasseur à poitrine bleue
Spanish: Alción Pechiazul
Other common names: Black-winged Kingfisher
Taxonomy: Alcedo Malimbica Shaw, 1811, Malimba, Zaire.
Population from Senegal, described as race fortis, now included in torquata; proposed race prenticei, from S Sudan, NE Zaire and Uganda, inseparable from nominate. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- torquata Swainson, 1837 - Senegal E to SW Mali and S to N Guinea.
- forbesi Sharpe, 1892 - Sierra Leone E to S Nigeria, Bioko I (Fernando Póo) and SW Cameroon.
- dryas Hartlaub, 1854 - Príncipe I and, at least formerly, São Tomé I.
- malimbica (Shaw, 1811) - S Cameroon E to SW Sudan, W Uganda and NW Tanzania, and S to N Angola and NW Zambia; probably this race in SW Ethiopia.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
A bird singing from an exposed branch. Locality Budongo Forest, Uganda
Keith Blomerley 8 August 2002 24 weeks ago 4.5
Three birds were calling, and this one did a display flight high overhead calling loudly, of which this is a fragment Locality Mole National Park, Northern Region, Ghana
Phil Gregory 2 April 2014 1 year ago 4
calls. Locality Ankasa-Nini National Park, Western Region, Ghana
herve jacob 7 April 2012 3 years ago 4
Song with some call of a second bird. Locality Bobiri Forest Reserve, Ashanti Region, Ghana
herve jacob 26 March 2012 3 years ago 3.5
Calls by one bird. Locality San Diego Zoo, San Diego, San Diego County, California, USA (United States)
Josep del Hoyo 19 June 2012 2 years ago 3