Blue-black Grassquit (Volatinia jacarina) - HBW 16, p. 644
French: Jacarini noir
Spanish: Semillero Volatinero
Other common names: Blue-black Seedeater
Taxonomy: Tanagra jacarina Linnaeus, 1766, north-eastern Brazil.
Genus sometimes subsumed in Geospiza, but the two appear entirely unrelated. Recent molecular-genetic data indicate that present genus belongs in the tanager family (Thraupidae) and is basal to a clade that includes Lanio, Tachyphonus and Ramphocelus, among others. Proposed race atronitens (described from Campeche, in SE Mexico) is synonymized with splendens. Three subspecies generally recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- splendens (Vieillot, 1817) - Mexico (S from S Sonora, Sinaloa, Durango, S Tamaulipas and E San Luis Potosí) and Belize S through most of Central America to Colombia, Venezuela, the Guianas and the Amazon Basin; also Trinidad, Tobago and Grenada.
- peruviensis (Peale, 1848) - W Ecuador, W Peru and NW Chile.
- jacarina (Linnaeus, 1766) - S & E Brazil (S from Mato Grosso and Maranhão) S to SE Peru, E Bolivia, Paraguay and N Argentina (S to Mendoza, Córdoba and N Buenos Aires).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 40 videos
- 4.8 A male display... Brazil, Jan 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.7 A male going u... Brazil, Jan 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.6 A male perched... Venezuela, Aug 2003 DAVID ASCANIO
- 4.5 A male display... Venezuela, Aug 2003 DAVID ASCANIO
- 4.5 first a female... Peru, Dec 2012 Daniêl Jimenez
- 4.3 A male display... Mexico (So..., Aug 2009 Juan Sanabria
PhotosSee all 56 photos
- 4.4 A male feeding... Brazil, Pedro Lima
- 4.3 Standing on a ... Venezuela, Jun 2013 Luis R Figueroa
- 4.3 Tiziu (f) Brazil, Oct 2010 Lindolfo Souto
- 4.2 A female speci... Chile, Nov 2013 Luis R Figueroa
- 4.2 Male perched o... Colombia, Jul 2013 Daniel Avendaño
- 4.1 Photographed o... Colombia, Aug 2010 Peter Franze
Only for personal record. Locality Viçosa, Minas Gerais State, Brazil
Noé Eiterer 10 December 2011 28 weeks ago 4
A male singing on the top of a shrub giving short flights and returnes to its perch (one sound for each flight) Locality San Miguel District, Lima City, Peru
rodolfinchi10 17 May 2009 3 years ago 4
Display calls Locality Emas National Park, Goiás State, Brazil
Bradley Davis 4 March 2008 4 years ago 4