Blue-backed Manakin (Chiroxiphia pareola) - HBW 9, p. 152
French: Manakin tijé
Spanish: Saltarín Dorsiazul
Other common names: Tobago Manakin (atlantica)
Taxonomy: [Pipra] pareola Linnaeus, 1766, Cayenne.
Genus closely related to Antilophia. All members of present genus suggested by some as forming a superspecies. Has sometimes been treated as conspecific with C. linearis and C. lanceolata. Formerly included C. boliviana as a race, but the two recently shown to differ in ecology and voice. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- napensis W. deW. Miller, 1908 - S & SE Colombia (E of Andes), E Ecuador and N Peru (mainly N of R Marañón).
- regina P. L. Sclater, 1856 - E Peru (S of R Marañón), W Brazil mostly S of Amazon (E to lower R Tapajós, also recorded N of Amazon at two sites W of R Negro) and extreme N Bolivia.
- atlantica Dalmas, 1900 - Tobago.
- pareola (Linnaeus, 1766) - E Venezuela (NE Bolívar), the Guianas, and NE & E Brazil (from Roraima, Obidos and right bank of R Tapajós E to Maranhão and S to Mato Grosso and SE Pará, also isolated coastal population from Rio Grande do Norte S to Espírito Santo).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 16 videos
Display of natural hybrids of Blue-backed Manakin (Chiroxiphia pareola) x Helmeted Manakin (Antilophia galeata). Same birds film Locality Serra da Ibiapaba, Ceará State, Brazil
Weber Girão 11 December 2008 3 years ago 1 min 24 sec 3.8
Two adult birds displaying. Locality Lagoa dos Gatos, Pernambuco State, Brazil
Carlos Gussoni 4 September 2011 1 year ago 11 sec 3.5
A male on a branch calling. Locality Ituberá, Bahia State, Brazil (ssp pareola)
Ciro Albano 3 March 2010 3 years ago 34 sec 3.5
Male perched in the forest and call. Locality Fazenda Country, Canavieiras, Bahia State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 24 January 2013 19 weeks ago 17 sec 3.4
Male sdult singing. Locality Minas Gerais State, Brazil
josé de alencar bonafé 8 November 2005 3 years ago 30 sec 3.3
Young male perched in the forest. Locality Itacaré Beach, Itacaré, Bahia State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 1 June 2006 40 weeks ago 10 sec 3.3
PhotosSee all 9 photos
Locality Grafton, Tobago, Trinidad and Tobago
Stanisław Czyz 17 February 2012 1 year ago 3.3
A male probably hybrid between Blue-backed Manakin and Helmeted Manakin (Antilophia galeata).
Locality Serra da Ibiapaba, Ceará State, Brazil
Josep del Hoyo 30 September 2008 4 years ago 3.1
An adult male.
Locality Serra da Ibiapaba, Ceará State, Brazil (ssp pareola)
Josep del Hoyo 30 September 2008 4 years ago 2.7
SoundsSee all 8 recordings
Two male singing in the forest. Locality Fazenda Country, Canavieiras, Bahia State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 24 January 2013 20 weeks ago 0
Click to play
Male perched on the forest and calls and singing. Locality São Miguel dos Milagres, Alagoas State, Brazil
Antonio Silveira 1 April 2006 32 weeks ago 0