Blue-backed Conebill (Conirostrum sitticolor) - HBW 16, p. 263
French: Conirostre à cape bleue
Spanish: Conirrostro Dorsiazul
Other common names: Bolivian Conebill (cyaneum)
Taxonomy: Conirostrum sitticolor Lafresnaye, 1840, Santa Fé de Bogotá, Colombia.
Genus has sometimes been placed in Coerebidae or Parulidae, but molecular-genetic data indicate that it belongs in present family, with Oreomanes as sister-group. Four subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- pallidum Aveledo & Pérez, 1989 - Sierra de Perijá (Cerro Viruela), in NW Venezuela, and probably also in adjacent Colombia.
- intermedium Berlepsch, 1893 - Andes in Venezuela (Trujillo, Mérida and N Táchira).
- sitticolor Lafresnaye, 1840 - Andes in Venezuela (S Táchira), and from Colombia S to N Peru (Piura, Cajamarca and Amazonas).
- cyaneum Taczanowski, 1875 - Andes of Peru (from Huánuco) S to Bolivia (La Paz, Cochabamba and W Santa Cruz).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
feeding bird Locality Satipo Road, Junín Department, Peru (ssp cyaneum)
Daniêl Jimenez 9 November 2012 41 weeks ago 24 sec 4
Quick view of a bird Locality Yanacocha Reserve, Pichincha Province, Ecuador
Pascal Vagner 19 May 2012 1 year ago 6 sec 3.7
One ind that was traveling with a mixed flock. Locality Chingaza National Park, Cundinamarca Department, Colombia (ssp sitticolor)
Diego Calderon - COLOMBIA... 1 February 2010 3 years ago 13 sec 3.4