Black-throated Barbet (Tricholaema melanocephala) - HBW 7, p. 189
French: Barbican à tête noire
Spanish: Barbudo Cabecinegro
Other common names: African Black-throated Barbet, Brown-throated Barbet; Yellow-cheeked Barbet (flavibuccalis)
Taxonomy: Pogonias melanocephala Cretzschmar, 1826, north Ethiopia.
Closely related to T. lacrymosa, but not so close as to form a superspecies. Races moderately distinctive; flavibuccalis, known from few NC Tanzanian specimens, sometimes considered a separate species, or a megasubspecies, though it could actually be no more than a morph. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- melanocephala (Cretzschmar, 1826) - N & C Ethiopia, Djibouti and NW Somalia.
- stigmatothorax Cabanis, 1878 - SE Sudan, S Ethiopia and S Somalia, S to C Tanzania.
- blandi E. L. Phillips, 1897 - CN & NE Somalia.
- flavibuccalis Reichenow, 1893 - NC Tanzania (Seronera region and Wembere steppes).
- Least Concern
- No sound recordings available yet