Black-throated Barbet (Tricholaema melanocephala) - HBW 7, p. 189
French: Barbican à tête noire
Spanish: Barbudo Cabecinegro
Other common names: African Black-throated Barbet, Brown-throated Barbet; Yellow-cheeked Barbet (flavibuccalis)
Taxonomy: Pogonias melanocephala Cretzschmar, 1826, north Ethiopia.
Closely related to T. lacrymosa, but not so close as to form a superspecies. Races moderately distinctive; flavibuccalis, known from few NC Tanzanian specimens, sometimes considered a separate species, or a megasubspecies, though it could actually be no more than a morph. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- melanocephala (Cretzschmar, 1826) - N & C Ethiopia, Djibouti and NW Somalia.
- stigmatothorax Cabanis, 1878 - SE Sudan, S Ethiopia and S Somalia, S to C Tanzania.
- blandi E. L. Phillips, 1897 - CN & NE Somalia.
- flavibuccalis Reichenow, 1893 - NC Tanzania (Seronera region and Wembere steppes).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
picture taken near lodge
Locality Samburu-Buffalo Springs National Reserves, Kenya
Jacek Nalepa 14 February 2012 51 weeks ago 4.3
Locality Bilen Lodge, Awash National Park, Ethiopia
Marco Valentini 30 December 2012 45 weeks ago 3.9
Locality Ethiopia (ssp stigmatothorax)
Nik Borrow 12 January 2008 4 years ago 3.5
A bird singing.
Locality Dawa River, SNNPR Region, Ethiopia
Ken Havard 6 November 2011 1 year ago 3.3
- No sound recordings available yet