Black-throated Barbet (Tricholaema melanocephala) - HBW 7, p. 189
French: Barbican à tête noire
Spanish: Barbudo Cabecinegro
Other common names: African Black-throated Barbet, Brown-throated Barbet; Yellow-cheeked Barbet (flavibuccalis)
Taxonomy: Pogonias melanocephala Cretzschmar, 1826, north Ethiopia.
Closely related to T. lacrymosa, but not so close as to form a superspecies. Races moderately distinctive; flavibuccalis, known from few NC Tanzanian specimens, sometimes considered a separate species, or a megasubspecies, though it could actually be no more than a morph. Four subspecies currently recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- melanocephala (Cretzschmar, 1826) - N & C Ethiopia, Djibouti and NW Somalia.
- stigmatothorax Cabanis, 1878 - SE Sudan, S Ethiopia and S Somalia, S to C Tanzania.
- blandi E. L. Phillips, 1897 - CN & NE Somalia.
- flavibuccalis Reichenow, 1893 - NC Tanzania (Seronera region and Wembere steppes).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
picture taken near lodge
Locality Samburu-Buffalo Springs National Reserves, Kenya
Jacek Nalepa 14 February 2012 2 years ago 4.6
A bird in the bush
Locality Lake Natron, Tanzania
Krzysztof Blachowiak 28 March 2013 6 weeks ago 4.1
Locality Bilen Lodge, Awash National Park, Ethiopia
Marco Valentini 30 December 2012 1 year ago 3.8
A bird singing.
Locality Dawa River, SNNPR Region, Ethiopia
Ken Havard 6 November 2011 2 years ago 3.3
Locality Ethiopia (ssp stigmatothorax)
Nik Borrow 12 January 2008 5 years ago 3.3
- No sound recordings available yet