Black-headed Waxbill (Estrilda atricapilla) - HBW 15, p. 321
French: Astrild à tête noire
Spanish: Estrilda Capirotada
Other common names: Grey-breasted Waxbill
Taxonomy: Estrelda atricapilla J. Verreaux and É. Verreaux, 1851, Gabon.
Sometimes placed with E. kandti and E. nonnula in a separate genus, Krimhilda. May form a superspecies with E. kandti, and formerly considered conspecific. Recent studies of mitochondrial phylogeny indicate that nominate race and race avakubi appear as a sister-clade to E. nonnula and nominate race of E. kandti. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- atricapilla J. Verreaux & É. Verreaux, 1851 - S Cameroon S to PRCongo, E to NE DRCongo.
- avakubi Traylor, 1964 - NW & NE Angola (Cabinda, N Lunda Norte) and SW & C DRCongo.
- marungensis Prigogine, 1975 - Marungu Mts, in SE DRCongo.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
Black-headed Waxbill (Estrilda atricapilla)
Locality Bwindi Impenetrable National Park, Uganda
Jacques Erard 15 August 2010 1 year ago 4.1
A pair on the ground
Locality Kibale National Park, Uganda
Smoghead 27 March 2014 34 weeks ago 3
Adult feeding on grass seeds
Locality Korup National Park, Southwest Province, Cameroon (ssp atricapilla)
Nik Borrow 28 March 2011 3 years ago 3
- No sound recordings available yet