Black-fronted Bush-shrike (Chlorophoneus nigrifrons) - HBW 14, p. 114
French: Gonolek à front noir
Spanish: Bubú Frentinegro
Taxonomy: Laniarius nigrifrons Reichenow, 1896, Marangu, Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.
Genus sometimes subsumed in Malaconotus or in Telophorus; present species has been placed also in genus Laniarius. Forms a superspecies with C. multicolor and possibly conspecific with it. Occurs in five main colour morphs. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- nigrifrons ( Reichenow, 1896) - mountains of E Uganda (Mt Elgon), Kenya, Tanzania and N Malawi.
- manningi ( Shelley, 1899) - E Angola, SE DRCongo (Katanga) and N Zambia.
- sandgroundi Bangs, 1931 - S Malawi, Mozambique, E Zimbabwe and N South Africa (Limpopo Province).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
- No videos available yet
A poor photo of an adult bird in a mixed species flock.
Locality Magoebaskloof area, Limpopo Province, South Africa (ssp sangroundi)
David Beadle 12 January 2011 1 year ago 3.2
- No sound recordings available yet