Black-cheeked Woodpecker (Melanerpes pucherani) - HBW 7, p. 441
French: Pic de Pucheran
Spanish: Carpintero Centroamericano
Other common names: Pucheran’s Woodpecker
Taxonomy: Zebrapicus Pucherani Malherbe, 1849, Tobago; error = Colombia.
Sometimes placed in a separate genus Tripsurus, along with M. chrysauchen, M. cruentatus and M. flavifrons. Forms a superspecies with first of those, or both sometimes included in the superspecies represented by last two. N populations sometimes separated as race perileucus, with supposed tendency towards stronger white barring on upperparts and wings, but much overlap occurs with S populations and racial separation considered not sustainable. Monotypic.
Distribution: S Mexico (Veracruz, Chiapas) S to W Colombia and W Ecuador (S to El Oro; may also occur in W Loja).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 17 videos
- 4.6 A bird eating ... Panama, May 2010 Eldert Groenewoud
- 4.1 bird on a frui... Panama, Nov 2013 Thore Noernberg
- 4.1 A male eating ... Ecuador, Sep 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 A male working... Ecuador, Sep 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 4 A bird nest ma... Costa Rica, Dec 2009 Luis Vargas
- 4 A male feeding... Panama, Dec 2011 Robert Schaefer
PhotosSee all 19 photos
- 4.4 Adult bird on ... Mexico (So..., Oct 2011 rchavezdm
- 4.4 Seen on a feed... Costa Rica, Mar 2009 David Lingard
- 4 A male perching Ecuador, Oct 2009 Tadeusz Stawarczyk
- 4 Bird at a feed... Panama, Feb 2012 Per Karlsson Linderum
- 4 adult close up... Panama, Nov 2013 Thore Noernberg
- 3.9 adult on a fru... Panama, Nov 2013 Thore Noernberg