Black-cheeked Woodpecker (Melanerpes pucherani) - HBW 7, p. 441
French: Pic de Pucheran
Spanish: Carpintero Centroamericano
Other common names: Pucheran’s Woodpecker
Taxonomy: Zebrapicus Pucherani Malherbe, 1849, Tobago; error = Colombia.
Sometimes placed in a separate genus Tripsurus, along with M. chrysauchen, M. cruentatus and M. flavifrons. Forms a superspecies with first of those, or both sometimes included in the superspecies represented by last two. N populations sometimes separated as race perileucus, with supposed tendency towards stronger white barring on upperparts and wings, but much overlap occurs with S populations and racial separation considered not sustainable. Monotypic.
Distribution: S Mexico (Veracruz, Chiapas) S to W Colombia and W Ecuador (S to El Oro; may also occur in W Loja).
- Least Concern Enlarge map
VideosSee all 14 videos
- 4.9 A male and a f... Ecuador, Feb 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.8 A female at a ... Ecuador, Sep 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.7 A male eating ... Ecuador, Sep 2007 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.5 A male feeding... Panama, Dec 2011 Robert Schaefer
- 4.4 A female feedi... Ecuador, Feb 2005 Josep del Hoyo
- 4.3 A female on a ... Costa Rica, Jan 2004 Max Roth
PhotosSee all 15 photos
- 4.4 Seen on a feed... Costa Rica, Mar 2009 David Lingard
- 4 A male perching Ecuador, Oct 2009 Tadeusz Stawarczyk
- 4 Bird at a feed... Panama, Feb 2012 Per Karlsson Linderum
- 3.8 Male at a trunk Costa Rica, Sep 2012 Stefan_Thiel
- 3.5 looking for in... Nicaragua, Dec 2011 Orlando Jarquín G.
- 3.4 Black-faced Wo... Costa Rica, Feb 2010 Ron Flemal