Black Bishop (Euplectes gierowii) - HBW 15, p. 144
French: Euplecte de Gierow
Spanish: Obispo Negro
Other common names: Gierow's Bishop; Angola Black Bishop (gierowii); Northern Black Bishop (ansorgei); Southern Black Bishop (friederichseni)
Taxonomy: Euplectes gierowii Cabanis, 1880, Malanje, Angola.
Sometimes placed with E. aureus and E. hordeaceus in a separate genus, Groteiplectes. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ansorgei ( E. J. O. Hartert, 1899) - W, E & S Cameroon, S Central African Republic, N PRCongo, N & NE DRCongo, S Sudan, W & SW Ethiopia, Uganda and W Kenya.
- gierowii Cabanis, 1880 - SW DRCongo and NW Angola.
- friederichseni G. A. Fischer & Reichenow, 1884 - S Kenya and NC Tanzania.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Dorsal view Locality Lake Naivasha, Kenya
ANTHONY VILLAUME 8 April 2013 1 year ago 14 sec 4
Close up of a bird hidden in the grass, eating seeds. Locality Lake Naivasha, Kenya (ssp friederichseni)
ANTHONY VILLAUME 7 April 2013 1 year ago 26 sec 3.9
A breeding male in a bush Locality Nyabyeya, Uganda (ssp ansorgei)
Josep del Hoyo 31 August 2006 7 years ago 27 sec 3.5
A male in breeding plumage, perched Locality Nyabyeya, Uganda (ssp ansorgei)
Josep del Hoyo 31 August 2006 7 years ago 17 sec 2.6
In the brush alongside Hwy A104 to Tarangire NP.
Locality Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lee Hunter 2 April 2014 17 weeks ago 3.8
breeding plumage male feeding
Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda (ssp ansorgei)
Nik Borrow 12 June 2013 1 year ago 3.6
Male in crop on edge of swamp.
Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda
Tom Tarrant 25 December 2005 4 years ago 2.5
- No sound recordings available yet