Black Bishop (Euplectes gierowii) - HBW 15, p. 144
French: Euplecte de Gierow
Spanish: Obispo Negro
Other common names: Gierow's Bishop; Angola Black Bishop (gierowii); Northern Black Bishop (ansorgei); Southern Black Bishop (friederichseni)
Taxonomy: Euplectes gierowii Cabanis, 1880, Malanje, Angola.
Sometimes placed with E. aureus and E. hordeaceus in a separate genus, Groteiplectes. Three subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- ansorgei ( E. J. O. Hartert, 1899) - W, E & S Cameroon, S Central African Republic, N PRCongo, N & NE DRCongo, S Sudan, W & SW Ethiopia, Uganda and W Kenya.
- gierowii Cabanis, 1880 - SW DRCongo and NW Angola.
- friederichseni G. A. Fischer & Reichenow, 1884 - S Kenya and NC Tanzania.
- Least Concern Enlarge map
Dorsal view Locality Lake Naivasha, Kenya
ANTHONY VILLAUME 8 April 2013 1 year ago 14 sec 4
Close up of a bird hidden in the grass, eating seeds. Locality Lake Naivasha, Kenya (ssp friederichseni)
ANTHONY VILLAUME 7 April 2013 1 year ago 26 sec 3.9
A breeding male in a bush Locality Nyabyeya, Uganda (ssp ansorgei)
Josep del Hoyo 31 August 2006 7 years ago 27 sec 3.5
A male in breeding plumage, perched Locality Nyabyeya, Uganda (ssp ansorgei)
Josep del Hoyo 31 August 2006 7 years ago 17 sec 2.6
In the brush alongside Hwy A104 to Tarangire NP.
Locality Arusha Region, Tanzania
Lee Hunter 2 April 2014 7 weeks ago 3.8
breeding plumage male feeding
Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda (ssp ansorgei)
Nik Borrow 12 June 2013 44 weeks ago 3.6
Male in crop on edge of swamp.
Locality Bigodi Swamp, Uganda
Tom Tarrant 25 December 2005 4 years ago 2.5
- No sound recordings available yet