Bicolored Conebill (Conirostrum bicolor) - HBW 16, p. 261
French: Conirostre bicolore
Spanish: Conirrostro Bicolor
Taxonomy: Sylvia bicolor Vieillot, 1809, Cayenne, French Guiana.
Genus has sometimes been placed in Coerebidae or Parulidae, but molecular-genetic data indicate that it belongs in present family, with Oreomanes as sister-group. This species previously placed in Ateleodacnis, and some taxonomists argue that, along with the other lowland conebills (C. speciosum, C. leucogenys and C. margaritae), it should be returned to that genus; as a group they are morphologically distinct from most highland members of present genus. Two subspecies recognized.
Subspecies and Distribution:
- bicolor (Vieillot, 1809) - Colombia from SW of Cartagena (Fuerte I) E along coast, including Margareta I and Trinidad, locally to N & E Brazil (Amapá, and mouth of R Amazon, E then S very locally to São Paulo); also locally along R Branco (NC Brazil).
- minus (Hellmayr, 1935) - both banks of R Amazon in NE Peru, SE Colombia and Brazil E to vicinity of R Madeira and R Tapajós, and probably (records spotty) to near mouth of R Amazon.
- Near Threatened Enlarge map
PhotosSee all 9 photos
- 3.9 Male Bicolored... Brazil, Jan 2011 Stephen John Jones
- 3.6 lateral view o... Trinidad a..., May 2011 Stephen Romany
- 3.4 One adult male... Brazil, Oct 2011 Carlos Gussoni
- 3.3 Lateral view o... Brazil, Feb 2007 Ken Havard
- 3 A male singing... Venezuela, Feb 2009 Dilia E. Garcia
- 3 A foraging mal... Venezuela, Jun 2009 philgunson